Frequently Asked Questions

If I make a report to the Student Intervention Team, will the student get into trouble and/or be referred to the Office of Student Conduct?

The fact that you are looking at this website probably means you are concerned about a student and looking for assistance. You should contact this SIT team chaired by Associate Dean Marcelo Vazquez at (775)784-4388. If he is not available, contact the dean of students Jerry Marcyznski at (775) 784-1471 or In an emergency, contact 911.

It is possible that a student's conduct may be referred to the Office of Student Conduct if deemed necessary, but it is not automatic.

If a student seems hostile or angry, but doesn't say anything to me directly, should I approach them or just leave them alone?

It might be best to consider the larger context here. If there are other notable behavior and/or attitude changes, it is a bigger deal than if the student is just "having a bad day". If you think the student may be angry at you or at a grade situation, you might wait to see if the student's mood improves. If the student's mood change and/or behavior lasts longer than a day or two, or seems to get worse, talk to the student.

What exactly will happen if I call someone on the team and report a concern about a student?

The team member will make a record of your concerns for the Student Intervention Team. Then the team member will consult with you about how you might approach the student or otherwise manage the situation. The team will discuss the student at its next meeting. Frequently, one or more SIT members are already aware of students having difficulty, but new information is always valuable in making needed referrals and coordinating assistance efforts. 

What responsibility do teaching faculty have for the welfare of their students?

Faculty are not expected to act as surrogate parents. However, the ability to work and communicate effectively with students is considered to be in the best interests of the student and the academic community.

What if I approach a student and encourage counseling, but the student refuses to go?

A first option is to call Counseling Services with the student present to expedite the referral or even to consult with a counselor over the phone. Second, communicate your concerns to the Student Intervention Team. Third, if there is another campus department that can assist such as the Student Health Center or Disability Resource Center, please contact them. Sometimes situations can benefit from outside consultation and perspective.

What should I do if I feel unsafe or threatened by a student?

Call the University Police at (775) 784-6195 or 911. Even if you are uncertain if a threat is real, make a report.