Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantship positions are offered through various academic departments and are paid by grants or state funds. Students interested in these positions must contact the department for specific requirements.

Graduate assistants perform a variety of duties including teaching undergraduate classes, grading papers. and conducting research in laboratories. Teaching assistants receive special teaching skills by training through the Graduate School. All graduate students holding an assistantship (teaching TA or research RA) are considered Nevada residents for tuition purposes. Non-resident tuition is only waived for the duration of the assistantship.

Status on GIA/Fee Waiver

As a TA or RA, you will receive a fee waiver on your bill – but it is your responsibility to make sure that the appropriate waivers are applied. Read the below information to prevent late fees on your account.

  1. To avoid late fees do not wait for GIA/Fee waiver to post. Pay your portion and mandatory fees!
  2. Check your account on MyNEVADA for GIA/Fee Waiver adjustment to your account.
  3. GIA/Fee waivers are checked for accuracy and delivered to the Cashiers office for posting in MyNEVADA once approved.
  4. Students must pay their portion of tuition and mandatory fees at Cashiers or via MyNEVADA.