Student Forms and Information for Supervisors

2016-2017 Student Employee of the Year Nomination Form

Do you have a student working for you that you would like to recognize for their exceptional contribution to your department?  Student Employment is currently accepting nominations for the Student Employee of the Year for the 2016-2017 academic year.  In order to be eligible the student must have completed, or expect to complete, at least one semester of student employment in the nominating department during this fiscal year (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017). The nomination form can be submitted via fax to 784-1146 or sent to campus mail stop 0238. Deadline for submission is March 10, 2017. The Finalist will be chosen by a committee after the submission deadline. 

2016-2017 Work Study Employment Dates

Student employment is intended to be a learning experience that complements a student's academic and career goals and provides valuable work experience. To find a student for your position, you will need to post a student position to the e-Search system.  For e-Search login information call 775-682-6122.  If you have already identified a student for a position, you will not need to post a position in e-Search.  After identifying your student employee, the next step is to complete the new hire paperwork and send the hiring packet to HR.  When you are hiring a student employee please review the Guide to Student Employment document for student employee information.

Off Campus employers can post their open positions to the Career Navigator website. 

Student Employee HR Liaisons Information

Web Contracts Tutorials:

FAQs about Student Employment for Supervisors

Where can a student locate job opportunities?

The University uses the e-SEARCH system to post open student positions on-campus. Read this step-by-step document called e-SEARCH Posting Instructions to learn about the process. Demonstrations for creating Student Employment Postings in e-SEARCH are listed on the HR training calendar. If there are no demonstrations listed on the training calendar you can contact the UNR Human Resources office at (775) 784-6082 to set up a demonstration. These demonstrations are for student postings only.

If you will be coordinator or chair for a faculty position you will need to attend the faculty coordinator and/or chair training for e-SEARCH.

What are the eligibility requirements to be a student employee?

An eligible student, for this purpose, is defined as an individual who is enrolled as an undergraduate student, graduate student or graduate special during the fall or spring terms in any academic year. Departments will verify that a student is enrolled by requesting a copy of their course schedule at the beginning of each term. The course schedule is important so that hours can be scheduled that do not conflict with class times. Only enrolled UNR students are eligible for student employment. Students at other NSHE institutions are not eligible. A student may work during the summer term if they are enrolled at the University during the summer terms or are enrolled for the fall semester. Students who graduate or terminate their academic program are no longer eligible for student employment beyond the calendar month of such action. A graduate may enroll as a graduate special or pursue a graduate degree to regain eligibility.
A student who is no longer enrolled in classes will be terminated from their student employment positions immediately upon notification being sent to the hiring department by Human Resources.

Summer Employment: Students may work in the summer if they meet one of the following enrollment requirements:
1) must be enrolled in at least 1 credit
2) meet the minimum qualifications required for the fall semester
Additionally, to be eligible for student employment, the student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident eligible to work in the United States except as specified for International students under the International Student eligibility requirements section.
Students employed at 50% FTE in a Graduate Assistantship must obtain an Approved Overload Request form, from the Graduate School. This approved form must be submitted to the Student Employment office before the student can begin work in a student position.
Students who graduate or terminate their academic program are no longer eligible for student employment beyond the calendar month of such action. If a student was eligible to work during the spring semester of the fiscal year the department may have that student continue employment until the end of that fiscal year (June 30). A graduate may enroll in the minimum credits as a graduate special or pursue a graduate degree to regain eligibility.
***Student eligibility to work is a separate issue from FICA Exempt status.
Individuals who do not meet all eligibility requirements may not be hired under the "student" category. The State classified employment system has categories for temporary employment. Contact the Business Center North (BCN) Human Resource office at 784-6844 for more information.

What are the international student employee requirements?

International students must meet the same GPA requirements. They are required by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations to be enrolled full-time (12 -undergraduate or 9 - graduate credits), with an F-1 or J-1 form issued by this university. For more information on international student eligibility and requirements please visit the Office of International Student and Scholars web site. University of Nevada, Reno is proud of the growing diversity on our campus.

International students with 1-20s issued by the University are permitted to work as a student employee. Documentation issued by any other NSHE institution is not acceptable for work purposes under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations. International students must be enrolled full-time, 12 undergraduate credits or 9 graduate credits, and must meet GPA requirements in order to be eligible for student employment. In addition, prior to employment international students on J-1 Exchange Visitor visas (with a DS-2019) must obtain permission to work on-campus from a responsible officer of the exchange visitor program sponsoring the student. Additionally, the student must visit with the tax specialist in the University Controller's Office regarding the tax status related to their employment.

Students in F-1 and J-1 status may work up to 20 hours per week (40 hours during the winter, spring, and summer breaks) on campus but are not eligible to apply for off-campus employment during their first nine months in the United States. After nine months in the U.S. in nonimmigrant status, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (F-1) or the program sponsor (J-1) may grant part-time employment permission only under special conditions.

International students on their last semester are not eligible to work after the last day of finals without current work authorization (8 CFR 214.2(9)(i)). The work authorization may be post-completion Optional Practical Training related to their program of study or any other type of work visa. They may receive their paycheck after the last day of finals but their last day of eligible payment will be the last day of finals.

For more information contact the Office of International Student and Scholars at (775) 784-6874 or the OISS Website.

What is work study and how do you get it?

The Federal Work Study Program is a “need-based” financial aid program designed to assist students in earning money to meet their college expenses. To be eligible, a student must have filed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). If need is determined a work-study allocation of funds will be provided in the student’s financial aid package. The awarded amount of work study funds per semester will determine the maximum number of hours per week that may be worked under work study. For on-campus positions, the federal funds pay 75% of the student’s wage and the employer matches the other 25% of the wage. The department is also responsible the employee fringe/worker’s compensation which is 1.5% for 100% of the wages.

An example of the funding breakdown would be a student is awarded $3000 in work study for a school year; this includes the fall and spring semesters. The $3000 award is split in half for the year so $1500 for fall and $1500 for spring. For hours turned in to be paid on a timesheet the federal funds will cover 75% and the department funds will cover the remainder. Wages under the program for a semester can be earned up to $1500 this includes the federal and department money. So 100% of the funds paid to the student per paycheck will be subtracted from the $1500 for that semester. The spring semester portion of the award can only be earned during that semester. However, unearned funds from the fall semester portion of the Work Study award may be carried forward and combined with the amount allocated to the spring semester. Currently, summer work study is not awarded at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Once the student earns all of the semester work study allocation, 100% of subsequent wages will be paid from the department funding source(s). At this point if the department wishes to continue employment for this student a PAF should be submitted to end the account lines with the work study earnings code and start a new account line with the student worker earnings code.

How many hours can a student work?

Student employees may work up to 25 hours per week when classes are in session (fall and spring semesters). Students must not be scheduled to work when they have a scheduled class period. Student employees may not work more than 25 hours a week. During break times winter/spring break and the summer student employees may work up to but no more than 40 hours per week.

  • Students on Federal Work Study funding may work no more than 25 hours per week during periods of enrollment when classes are in session (fall and spring semesters).
  • International Students in F-1 and J-1 status may work up to 20 hours per week (40 hours during the winter, spring, and summer breaks)
  • A student employed with more than one department needs to coordinate their schedule with each area they are employed with as to not exceed work hour maximums.
  • Students with multiple employee types may not work more than a combined total between all job types of the maximum 25 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters or more than 40 hours per week during the break times winter/spring/summer. 

Should a student worker be given overtime?

Student employment positions are temporary, part-time positions that offer individuals whose primary purpose here is to be a student an opportunity for work experience. Hours worked are flexible and variable. Due to the nature and purpose of these positions, overtime should not be incurred. However, in unusual situations (i.e. during summer employment or special events) where hours in excess of a student’s normal work schedule are required, overtime at time-and-one-half rates will only be paid for hours worked in excess of 40 hours per week. All overtime for students must have prior authorization from the supervisor.

What are student employee termination rights?

Since student employment is temporary, hourly and part-time it can be terminated at any time at the discretion of the employer. Also, if a student drops below the required credit and/or GPA requirements, the employment status must be terminated immediately. It is advisable that the supervisor keep notes regarding the student's performance that may have led to the termination.

How should Employer and Employee conflicts be handled?

Both the employer and the employee share the responsibility of addressing problems that may occur during the course of the student’s employment. There should be realistic expectations of both the supervisor and the employee.

The following guidelines have been successful in dealing with employee/employer conflicts:
  • Address problems as they arise, not after they accumulate. Deal with minor concerns before they become major problems
  • Review job responsibilities, duties, and expectations. Make sure they are clear to both the supervisor and the student
  • Avoid personalizing critical comments. Discussions regarding performance should be conducted in private.

If assistance in resolving conflicts is required, employers and/or employees may contact the Human Resources office at (775)784-6082 or the Affirmative Action Office at (775)784-1547.

As the employer, do I have to do anything once a student employee no longer works for me?

Yes, the employer should submit a termination PAF when a student has been terminated or will no longer work for that department.

Are there any student employee benefits?

Every student employee is covered during his/her working hours by Worker’s Compensation insurance for work related injury/illness. The coverage provides an incapacitated student employee the means of support and medical care when unable to work because of a job related disability. An employee must immediately report any job related accident or illness to his/her supervisor. The supervisor is responsible for completing the appropriate forms for the BCN Workers' Compensation office. If you have questions, contact BCN Workers' Compensation, phone (775) 784-4394 or visit their website for procedures, forms and information.

Student employees are not eligible to receive other employment benefits such as shift differential pay, paid holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, retirement benefits, or permanent status.

What break periods are student employees entitled to?


A student working a consecutive 4-hour work period is entitled to one 15-minute rest period with pay. For a consecutive work period that exceeds 6-hours a student worker is entitled to two 15-minute rest periods with pay. In general, rest periods should occur near the middle of the shift for a 4 to 6 hour shift. For shifts of more than 6 hours rest periods should be taken in the first and last third of the shift. Rest periods may not be taken at the beginning or end of the work period and are not cumulative.


In general, an unpaid meal period of 1/2 hour to 1 hour is required when a student employee is scheduled to work more than 6 hours. Under circumstances driven by operational needs, a student may waive the meal period, particularly when the need to work additional hours arises at the end of a scheduled shift. If a student works more than six hours and does not take a meal period, the reason for not taking a meal period must be documented on the time sheet by the student and approved (initialed) by the supervisor. This documentation/time sheet for a student worker must be retained by the department for three years or five years for a student on work study.

How should unscheduled work absences be handled?

From the time of appointment to a student employee position supervisors should make a clear process for notification of absence from a scheduled work period and be sure the student is made familiar with the department expectations. If no clear plan is made student employees should notify the supervisor no later than the beginning of the scheduled work period when he/she is unable to work. In the case of an extended absence, the estimated duration should be reported to the supervisor as soon as possible. The supervisor is responsible for authorizing all absences.

How do I fill out paperwork for my new student employee?

Instructions for completing student employment paperwork can be found under the HR Liaison section of the Human Resources web site. In this section you will find information on how to complete paperwork for each employee type, cut-off schedules, and I-9 instructions as well as other helpful Human Resources Information.