Classified Staff Leave Benefits

Below is information about leave benefits for all Classified Staff at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Annual Leave

Employees working a full-time schedule, earn 10 hours of annual leave for each month of continuous full-time service. After six months of full-time service you are eligible to use leave at this time. Your appointing authority must approve annual leave.

If you are a part-time employee, you will earn a pro-rated amount of annual leave based on full-time equivalent service.

After ten years of continuous service you will earn up to a maximum of 12 hours of annual leave per month; and, with 15 years of service, up to 14 hours per month. Annual leave that is accrued in excess of 240 hours must be used by January 1, after which it will be forfeited. To avoid forfeiture, a request for permission to take annual leave must be submitted to your supervisor by October 15. Annual leave in excess of the 30 working days, which is requested by this date, but denied in writing, is eligible for payment. Payment for unused leave will be made by January 31.

If you separate from State service and have worked at least six months, you will be paid for any unused annual leave you have accumulated. (NRS 284.350 and NAC 284.113 and 284.538 to 284.5395)

Sick Leave

Employees earn 10 hours of sick leave for each month of full-time service. Part-time employees earn a prorated amount based on full-time equivalent service. Sick leave can be used as soon as it is accrued. (NRS 284.355, NAC 284.113 and 284.544)

Sick leave may be used only for authorized reasons. Sick leave can be used if you are unable to work because of illness or injury, incapacity due to pregnancy or childbirth, for medical and dental appointments, family illness (subject to some limitations) and a death (up to 5 working days) in your immediate family. If you retire or voluntarily terminate your employment, you may be eligible to receive payment for a portion of your accrued sick leave. See your personnel representative to determine when you would be eligible for this benefit.

Nonexempt employees must report any sick leave taken, even if it is for an appointment or part of the day.

If you retire or voluntarily terminate your employment, you may be eligible to receive payment for a portion of your accrued sick leave. See your personnel representative to determine when you would be eligible for this benefit. (NRS 284.355, NAC 284.542 through 284.568)

Sick Leave Payoff

Upon the retirement of an employee or when an employee leaves state service through no fault of his own or his death while in public employment, the employee or his beneficiaries are entitled to payment for his unused sick leave up to the following maximum amounts:

Years of Service and Maximum Payoff Amount

  • 10 but less than 15:$2,500
  • 15 but less than 20:$4,000
  • 20 but less than 25:$6,000
  • 25 or more years: $8,000

Additionally, an employee may be eligible to receive a portion of his unused sick leave accrued but not carried forward (also known as special sick) when he leaves State service. To determine the amount of payoff, you may use the following formula:

(special sick leave hrs accrued and not carried forward + 120 hrs accrued regular sick leave) /(divided by)2 X (multiplied by) rate of pay = payment amount

For example:
(70 hrs spec sick + 120 hrs reg sick) /2 X $16.07/hr = $1,526.65

Family and Medical Leave Act

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993 entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks of job-protected leave in a “rolling” 12-month period for specified family and medical reasons. The leave may be taken in blocks of time, or under some circumstances, you may take leave intermittently or reduce your normal work schedule. (Overview Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, revised August 18, 2000)

To be eligible for FMLA leave, you must:

  • have worked for the State of Nevada for 12 months or more (need not be continuous);
  • have worked at least 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months (all hours in “paid status” are used for calculation purposes); and
  • work at a location where at least 50 employees are employed by the State of Nevada within 75 miles.

FMLA leave must be granted for one or more of the following reasons:

  • for the birth of a child, or to care for the newborn;
  • for placement of a child with you for adoption or foster care, or to care for a child after placement;
  • to care for a spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition; or
  • for a serious health condition that makes you unable to perform your job.

You must provide at least 30 days advance notice when the need for leave is foreseeable. If 30 days notice is not possible, such as a medical emergency, notice must be given as soon as practicable. Less stringent notice requirements pertaining to annual or sick leave apply when used instead of unpaid leave.

An agency is responsible for designating paid leave or leave without pay as FMLA qualifying and promptly notifying the employee of the designation (typically within 2 working days). The appointing authority may require paid leave to be exhausted prior to an employee being placed on unpaid leave.

Your agency must provide you with a written notice detailing specific expectations and your obligations after you notify them of the need for FMLA leave. Medical certification may be required to support a request for leave.

Your group health insurance coverage must be maintained during FMLA leave on the same basis as if you had been continuously working. If you normally pay a portion of the premium for your coverage or have dependent coverage, these payments continue to be your responsibility.

Upon return from FMLA leave, you must be restored to your job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other employment terms and conditions (unless you would not otherwise have been employed in such a job). (NAC 284.5231 through 284.5239, 284.558, 284.566, 284.581 through 284.5813)

Maternity Leave

Maternity leave is not a special type of leave, but may consist of a combination of sick leave, annual leave, and leave without pay. The provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may apply to any leave you request for this purpose. (Refer to the Overview Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, revised August 18, 2000)

Family Illness

If there is an illness or a medical, optometric or dental service or examination in your immediate family requiring your attendance, you may use your accumulated sick leave not to exceed 120 hours in any one calendar year. The appointing authority may approve an exception to the 120- hour limit for good cause. In addition, an employee is not subject to this 120-hour limitation if the leave is approved under the Family and Medical Leave Act. (NAC 284.558)

Death in the Family

If a member of your immediate family dies, you may use your accumulated sick leave not to exceed 5 working days for each death. The appointing authority may approve additional time in instances where extended travel is involved. Immediate family is defined as an employee's parents, spouse, children, brothers, sisters, grandparents, great-grandparents, uncles, aunts, nephews, grandchildren, nieces, great-grandchildren, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandfather-in-law, grandmother-in-law, great-grandfather-in-law, great-grandmother-in-law, uncle-in-law, aunt-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, grandson-in-law, granddaughter-in-law, nephew-in-law, niece-in-law, great-grandson-in-law, great-grand-daughter-in-law, step-parents and step-children. (NAC 284.562)

Catastrophic Leave

You may qualify for catastrophic leave if you or a member of your immediate family is affected by a serious illness or accident which is life threatening or which requires a lengthy convalescence or there is a death in your immediate family. For this purpose:

  • "Lengthy convalescence" means a period of disability that an attending physician expects to exceed 10 consecutive weeks.
  • "Life threatening,” means a condition which is diagnosed by a physician as creating a substantial risk of death.
  • "Immediate family" has the meaning ascribed to it in NAC 284.562.

In addition to the above requirements, an employee must have exhausted all of his accrued sick leave, annual leave and compensatory time, and the employee must receive approval from his appointing authority or the Committee on Catastrophic Leave to be eligible for catastrophic leave donations. The maximum number of hours of catastrophic leave an employee can be approved to use in a calendar year is 1,040.

As an employee of the State, you are permitted to donate up to a maximum of 120 hours of annual leave and sick leave each calendar year.
Your sick leave balance, however, must not fall below 240 hours as a result of such donation.

You may also donate leave directly to a catastrophic leave account for use by an employee in any branch of State government who is approved to receive such leave. If the leave donated exceeds the amount approved for use by the employee, it must be returned to your account.

If you have questions regarding the approval of leave or donation of leave to an account, you should contact your personnel representative. ( NRS 284.362 through 284.3629 and NAC 284.575 through 284.577)

The University of Nevada, Reno campus has established catastrophic leave general procedures for their employees. UNR Catastrophic Leave - General Procedures document.

Administrative Leave With Pay

An appointing authority may grant administrative leave with pay to employees:

  1. To relieve them of duties during the active investigation of a suspected criminal violation or an alleged wrongdoing.
  2. When the appointing authority initiates the leave, not to exceed 30 days, in order to obtain the results of an examination concerning the employee's ability to perform the essential functions of his position.
  3. To remove him from the work environment, not to exceed 30 days, when he has committed an act of violence or threatened to commit an act of violence.
  4. For up to 2 hours to donate blood.
  5. To relieve them of duties until the appointing authority receives the results of a screening test for alcohol or drugs. (NRS 284.4065)

An appointing authority or the Department of Personnel may grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  1. Participation in, or attendance at, activities which are directly or indirectly related to the employee's job or employment with the State, but which do not require participation or attendance in an official capacity as a State employee.
  2. Closure of office or work site caused by a natural disaster or other similar adverse condition when the employee is scheduled and expected to be at work.
  3. Appearance as an aggrieved employee or a witness at a hearing of the Employee-Management Committee.
  4. Appearance as an appellant or a witness at a hearing to determine reasonableness of dismissal, demotion or suspension. (NRS 284.390)
  5. Appearance to provide testimony at a meeting of the Personnel Commission.

An appointing authority shall grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  1. The initial appointment and one follow-up visit to receive counseling through the Employee Assistance Program.
  2. Attendance at a health fair authorized by the board of the Public Employees' Benefits Program.
  3. Serving as a representative of State employees on a statutorily created board or commission.
  4. Up to eight hours to prepare for a hearing regarding the employee's suspension, demotion or dismissal. (NAC 284.589)

Civil Leave with Pay

In most cases, if you serve on a jury or as a witness in court or at an administrative hearing, you will be given civil leave with pay. You may keep all jury or witness fees paid to you except:

  1. If you are serving as a witness in your official capacity as a State employee, you are required to relinquish any witness fee to your agency. (NAC 284.582)
  2. If you are a witness in an action to which you are a party, you will not receive civil leave with pay unless it is job related. (NAC 284.582)

Civil leave with pay will also be granted for the following:

  1. If you meet the conditions of NRS 293.463 and need time off to vote;
  2. If you meet the conditions of NRS 284.357 as a volunteer firefighter, emergency medical technician, volunteer ambulance driver or attendant, or reserve member of a police department or a sheriff's department;
  3. If your absence from the job is necessary to meet a disaster or emergency and it is approved by your appointing authority. (NAC 284.587)

Military Leave

You will be given a leave of absence with pay for 15 working days in any one calendar year in order to perform active military duty.

If you are required to perform active military service during your employment with the State of Nevada, you will be granted a leave of absence for the period of your military service plus a period up to 90 days. If your gross State pay is more than your gross military pay, you will be eligible to receive differential pay to supplement your military pay.

If you serve less than 90 days of active military service, you will be restored to your same position, at the grade and step you would have held had you not served in the military. If you serve longer than 90 days, you must be reemployed in your former position or a comparable position having seniority and pay equal to that which you would have held had you not served in the military. (NRS 281.145, NRS 284.359)

Release Time for State Examinations

Release time during normal working hours is provided for a qualified employee to participate in any examination given by the Department of Personnel provided reasonable notice is given to the employee's immediate supervisor. The formal interview with the hiring State agency is typically considered part of the examination process. The release time within the normal workday will be considered the same as time worked. However, hours exceeding the normal workday or workweek do not qualify for overtime. (NAC 284.322)

Leave of Absence Without Pay

A leave of absence without pay may be approved for one year by the appointing authority for any satisfactory reason. The Personnel Commission, upon recommendation of the appointing authority, may grant a leave of absence without pay in excess of one year for purposes deemed beneficial to the public service. (NAC 284.578)