Request an Honors Peer Mentor
Why request an Honors Peer Mentor?
- University can be overwhelming, but having a Peer Mentor can support your transition to the University of Nevada, Reno in general and the Honors Program in particular.
- The Honors Peer Mentor Program can help introduce you to social and other opportunities to build leadership skills to create a home and community at the University.
- After your first year, you can apply to return as a Peer Mentor and offer support to future incoming students!
The Honors Peer Mentor Program provides an opportunity for incoming first-year students to connect with volunteer Mentors who are knowledgeable about the University and the Honors Program in order to ease the transition from high school to college. Going away to college can be an exciting time, yet many students also are apprehensive about the various challenges that await them upon entering college and the Honors Program. Mentorship helps to build the Honors Program community by developing strong relationships between students with similar interests. Being active in Mentorship allows students to take advantage of great opportunities that first-year students sometimes do not notice until their sophomore or junior year and connects first-year undergraduate students with Honors juniors and seniors who remember what it means to be a new student on campus. Honors Peer Mentors represent many majors, student organizations, and backgrounds.
How does the Honors Peer Mentor Program work?
- Incoming and transfer students can request to be assigned a Peer Mentor.
- The Honors Peer Mentors Program kicks off with a meet and greet at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Monthly informal, social, or academic meetings in the fall semester are encouraged between Mentors and Mentees.
- Social bonding events (guest speakers, ice skating, bowling, etc.) will occur a few times throughout the fall semester to foster a relationship between you and your Mentor.
- This program is designed to provide a casual atmosphere to collaborate and interact with other Honors students who share your interests and potentially also your major(s).
Interested in requesting a Peer Mentor? Click on the link to the application here!