History Graduate Student Association
The History Graduate Student Association (HGSA) at the University of Nevada, Reno is a vehicle to provide material as well as professional and social support for all history graduate students. The HGSA is committed to:
- Nurturing a supportive community within the department of history
- Advocating for the needs of all history graduate students
- Facilitating communication among all history graduate students and with the wider university community
- Organizing social events in the Reno/Tahoe area
- Offering public service opportunities in the Reno/Tahoe community
- Providing the professional development workshops
The HGSA holds social events for graduate students and their significant others in order to provide a much needed and deserved break from the grind of graduate school. We seek out activities that highlight the best parts of the Reno/Tahoe area.
Workshops are also offered. The workshops are designed to be a support group for history graduate students to help them survive and thrive at the University. The workshops are open to all history graduate students. The writing workshops help graduate students with their prospectus, thesis, dissertations, research papers, or articles. The professional development workshops help to demystify the process of graduate school and becoming a historian. Topics include passing comps, attending conferences, conducting research and finding a job.