My research interests include juvenile justice systems and policy; family engagement in juvenile and family courts; trauma-responsive courts; specialty courts; tribal courts; and needs assessment and program evaluation.
Parents' experience of their child's juvenile detention | Do you, or does someone you know, have a child in juvenile detention? I am currently interviewing parents who have a youth in detention, to better understand what this experience is like for parents. Learn more or see if you qualify for this study.
- M.A., Social Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno (2018)
- B.A., Psychology, University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- A.A., Education, Community College of Vermont
- Russell, K. R., Snider, K. M., Evans, W. P., & Marsh, S. C. (2021). Shame and justice: Partners of individuals on sex offense registries encourage policy reform. Qualitative Criminology. Journal of Qualitative Criminal Justice & Criminology. https://doi.org/10.21428/88de04a1.0eadc609
- Snider, K. M., Devereux, P. G., & Miller, M. K. (2021). Judges’ emotion: An application of the emotion regulation process model. Psychiatry, Psychology and Law. https://doi.org/10.1080/13218719.2021.1904454
- Crosbie, E., Snider, K. M., McMillen, R., Hartman, J., Alvarez, F., Wood, E. & Dahir, V. B. (2020). Expanding smoke-free communities: Attitudes and beliefs surrounding smoke-free casinos and bars in Washoe County, Nevada. Journal of Hospital Management and Health Policy, 4(23). https://jhmhp.amegroups.com/article/view/6326/
- DeVault, A., Helfrick, V., Marsh, S. C., & Snider, K. M. (2018). Environmental considerations for trauma-responsive juvenile and family courts: A review of the literature and recommendations for practice. Juvenile and Family Court Journal, 69(2), 5-20. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jfcj.12109
- Snider, K. M. (2019). Tribal Judges’ Experiences with Commercial Driving: A Focus Group Analysis to Inform A Needs Assessment Study. The National Judicial College: Reno, NV.
- Snider, K. M. (2019). Tribal Judges’ Knowledge and Attitudes Regarding CDL Cases: A Focus Group Analysis to Inform A Needs Assessment Study. The National Judicial College: Reno, NV.
- Snider, K. M., Kaplan, T., Dahir, V. B., Crosbie, E., Alvarez, F., & Rikkonen, K. J. (2019). Washoe County Smoking in the Workplace Focus Groups. Nevada Center for Surveys, Evaluation, and Statistics: Reno, NV.
- Yang, W., Snider, K. M., Rerick, P. O., Moody, S. A., & Dahir, V. (2019). 2018-Q34 NVBGH Coalition Report [12-Report Series]. Nevada Center for Surveys, Evaluation and Statistics: Reno, NV.
- Yang, W., Snider, K. M., Moody, S. A., Rerick, P. O., & Dahir, V. (2019). 2019-Q12 NVBGH Coalition Report [12-Report Series]. Nevada Center for Surveys, Evaluation and Statistics: Reno, NV.
Conference presentations and posters
- Snider, K. M., & Miller, M. K. (accepted; 2022, March). Workplace social support as a stress buffer for people in legal occupations. Paper presented at the American Psychology-Law Society Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
- Snider, K. M., Lanterman, J., & Dahir, V. (2021, November). Diverting homeless low offense severity offenders from fines and jail to services: Preliminary findings form Reno’s Community Court. Paper presented at ASC’s (American Society of Criminology) 2021 Fall Conference, Chicago, IL (accepted).
- Russell, K. N., Snider, K., Marsh, S., & Evans, W. (2021, August). Partners of Sex Offense Registrants Encourage Evidence-Based Policy Reform. Paper presented at SPSSI’s (The Society for Psychological Study of Social Issues) 2021 Summer Conference, Virtual (accepted)
- Snider, K. M. (2021). Coping with their child’s incarceration: The experiences of parents in the juvenile justice system. Three-Minute Thesis [2nd Place], University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV.
- Lanterman, J., Dahir, V., & Snider, K. M. (2020, November). Diverting homeless low offense severity offenders from fines and jail to services: Preliminary findings form Reno’s Community Court. Virtual Presentation at CrimCon 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ki6KgQuO4
- Edwards, C. P., Miller, M. K., Snider, K. M., & Devereux, P. G. (2020, August). Judicial stress: The relationship of judge type on stress. Virtual presentation at the annual convention of the American Psychological Association.
- Edwards, C. P., Merlino, M. L., Dahir, V. B., Hammond, D. L., Schaar-Buis, D. … Snider, K. M. … & Villalobos, J. G. (2019, August). Cognitive human factors and feature salience in forensic handwriting examination: Results from qualitative interviews. Poster presentation at the Annual Conference of the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners, Cary, NC.
- Snider, K. M., & Marsh, S. C. (2019, February). Characteristics and Motivations of Court Appointed Special Advocates. Poster presentation at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.
- Snider, K. M., Edwards, C. P., Miller, M. K., & Devereux, P. (2019, March). The Relationship between Social Support and Judicial Stress. Poster presentation at the American Psychology-Law Society Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.
- University of Nevada, Reno – Social Psychology Club, External Events Co-chair, 2018 - 2019
- University of Nevada, Reno – GSA Service Committee, Committee member, 2017 - 2018
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters of the Pikes Peak Region, Big Sister, 2013 - 2015
- Everybody Wins! Vermont, Literacy mentor, 2007 - 2010