Coronavirus FAQ

COVID-19 information for graduate students

Updated December 23, 2020 at  3:15 pm

The Graduate School office continues to be open from 9 am – 4 pm, Monday through Friday. However, all services and meetings are encouraged to be completed remotely when possible. Document submission is electronic only. All staff, students, and visitors will be required to follow the latest University policies and procedures. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

You can find the latest information and decisions affecting all students and campus on the University’s Student Coronavirus page. Here you will information on Fall 2020 instruction modes, required student training, housing and dining updates, and several other resources and information applicable to all students.

Below is information specific to graduate students and graduate program directors, faculty, and staff that support graduate students. Please check back frequently, as updates will be made on an ongoing basis.

For additional questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate School office at 775-784-6869 or email at



Spring 2021


Graduate Teaching Assistants

  • All first time Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTAs) must complete GRAD 701S. This course was 100% online this year can be accessed through webcampus. The training and quiz must be completed by February 28, 2021.
  • For support and teaching resources for Spring 2021, please reach out to Teaching & Learning Technologies.
  • In their role as employees, GTAs, just like faculty, can apply for Alternative Work or Leave arrangements based on FFCRA criteria. There is no deadline for submitting an alternative work arrangement or leave request but GTAs requiring accommodation should submit their requests at the earliest possible opportunity.

International Graduate Students

Continuing international students unable to return to campus will have to take a leave of absence until they can return to the U.S. View the Leave of Absence form for graduate students.

Academic progression


All  forms on the Graduate School website are either online submissions, interactive PDFs or DocuSign electric forms. Please read through the  PDF DocuSign instructions to understand how to initiate and complete those forms. If you have questions about the process or encounter issues with the DocuSign forms, please contact (775) 784-6869 or email at

Graduation application

Appeals to the application deadline for degree programs are accepted at the Graduate School until the last day of the graduation term. The Advanced Degree Graduation Application Deadline Appeal form is available on the  Graduate School’s forms page.

Thesis/dissertation filing deadline

The dissertation or thesis filing deadline for Spring 2021 is May 7. If you require an extension, please contact the graduate school to determine options for filing late or delaying your filing to Summer 2021. International students should be sure to contact OISS regarding any changes in their enrollment or degree continuation.

Dissertation and thesis defense

In order to safeguard the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff, the Graduate School is temporarily relaxing the requirements for the public defense of the dissertation. The  new, temporary policy is in effect until further notice.


Students may petition Admissions and Records to change their final letter grade to a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grade once the letter grade is posted. However, students must consult their academic advisor, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (if applicable), and athletic advisor (if applicable) at a minimum. Consultation with other offices also may be suggested to assist students in making an informed decision to avoid unintended consequences of the grade change. Petitions will be available online and accepted with a deadline that is TBD. Once a degree is posted, all grades are final. A "S" grade will meet all enrollment and degree progression requirements regardless of original letter grade; however, students are urged to be mindful of academic preparation needed for student success.

Grade translations for Graduate Classes S/U COVID-19 Petition:

S (Satisfactory) = B- or better; U (Unsatisfactory) = C+ or lower

The form and more information can be found on the official student FAQ page and the Admissions and Records COVID-19 S/U policy information page.

Academic probation and dismissal

Visit the Graduate School’s academic standing page for any updates on policies related to graduate student probation or dismissal.



All research labs have transitioned to maintenance-only mode of operation. A new process has been implemented to identify critical labs and research programs. PIs must submit a Request for Research Continuity form, to be routed through the department Chair/Head, Dean, Vice President for Research and Innovation, and President to continue operations. All requests were due to Research & Innovation by 5 p.m., Tuesday, April 7, 2020.

Please visit the Office of Research and Innovation's website for specific information, answers to frequently asked questions, and more detailed guidance.


Graduate Student Association

The Graduate Students Association and the University of Nevada, Reno grants, loans, scholarships and donation programs available to assist students and their programs based on need such as:

  • Childcare Scholarship Program
  • Computer Loan Program
  • Financial Crisis Grant Program
  • International Student Transitional Loan

Contact information


Graduate students

The following reflects the most current available information pertaining to graduate students. For additional questions or concerns, please contact the Graduate School office, currently working remotely, at (775) 784-6869 or email at