- 2019-2020 – Postdoctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Earth Sciences, University of Oregon
- 2014-2019 – Graduate Research Assistant, School of Earth and Sustainability, Northern Arizona University
- 2014-2017 – Adjunct Instructor, School of Earth and Sustainability, Northern Arizona University
- 2013-2018 – Adjunct Instructor, Dept. of Earth Sciences, University of Oregon
- 2012-2014 – Exploration Geologist, ConocoPhillips Company
I use a variety of tools including geologic mapping, structural geology, sedimentology and stratigraphy, geo-thermochronology, and GIS-based tectonic reconstructions to explore how crustal deformation evolves in time and space at all types of continental plate boundaries, particularly those in transition (e.g., subduction to rifting, collision to strike-slip, etc.). My research experience spans structural and structural and tectonostratigraphic studies from convergent margins like the Arabia-Eurasia collision zone in Anatolia (Turkey), to divergent and strike-slip (oblique) plate boundaries like the Gulf of California-San Andreas fault system.
I have active projects in southwestern Nevada understanding the Neogene transition from Basin and Range-style extension to dextral transtension across the Walker Lane belt and Lower Colorado River corridor, along the Cascadia margin investigating the tectono-sedimentary evolution and paleogeography since early Eocene accretion of the Siletzia terrane and later inception of the Cascade Arc, and in central Baja California as part of a cross-disciplinary “bio-geo-genomics” project examining the interrelations between landscape evolution and genetic divergence along the peninsula.
- Ph.D., Geology, Northern Arizona University, 2019
- M.S., Geology, University of Oregon, 2011
- B.A., Political Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, 2007
- Darin, M.H. and Umhoefer, P.J., 2019, Structure and Kinematic Evolution of the Southern Sivas Fold-Thrust Belt, Central Anatolia, Turkey: Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 28, p. 834–859, DOI: 10.3906/yer-1907-29
- Darin, M.H., Umhoefer, P.J., and Thomson, S.N., 2018, Rapid late Eocene exhumation of the Sivas Basin (Central Anatolia) driven by initial Arabia-Eurasia collision: Tectonics, v. 37, p. 3805–3833, DOI: 10.1029/2017TC004954
- Schleiffarth, W.K., Darin, M.H., Reid, M.R., and Umhoefer, P.J., 2018, Dynamics of episodic Late Cretaceous–Cenozoic magmatism across Central to Eastern Anatolia: New insights from an extensive geochronology compilation: Geosphere, v. 14, no. 5, DOI: 10.1130/GES01647.1
- Umhoefer, P.J., Darin, M.H., Bennett, S.E.K., Dorsey, R.J., Skinner, L., and Oskin, M.E., 2018, Breaching of strike-slip faults and successive flooding of pull-apart basins to form the Gulf of California seaway from ~8 to 6 Ma: Geology, v. 46, no. 8, p. 695–698, DOI: 10.1130/G40242.1
- Darin, M.H., Bennett, S.E.K., Dorsey, R.J., Oskin, M.E., and Iriondo, A., 2016, Late Miocene extension in coastal Sonora, Mexico: Implications for the evolution of dextral shear in the proto-Gulf of California oblique rift: Tectonophysics, v. 693, p. 378–408, DOI: 10.1016/j.tecto.2016.04.038
- Darin, M.H. and Dorsey, R.J., 2013, Reconciling disparate estimates of total offset on the southern San Andreas fault: Geology, v. 41, p. 975–978, DOI: 10.1130/G34276.1