Parent Questions

How do you apply for scholarships as a new freshman?

The application for admission serves as the new/first year scholarship application. The scholarship offer is based on the unweighted high school GPA on the official high school transcript assessed when the student is admitted to the University and official college entrance exam scores (ACT Composite or SAT Combined Critical Reading & Math scores) received by the University prior to February 1. If the test scores improve after admission and are received by the University prior to February 1, the first year scholarship offer will be upgraded in early March.

How can my son/daughter apply for additional scholarships?

From November 1 to February 1, there is a supplemental scholarship application available through MyNEVADA at Student Center > Supplemental Forms > Scholarship application. To be considered for scholarships from the University, all continuing students are required to complete this application annually and new admits are encouraged to do so. In addition, all students are highly encouraged to complete the FAFSA annually by the March 1 priority deadline. The University offers scholarships where financial need is a requirement and we use the FAFSA to calculate financial need. Students are encouraged to seek private scholarship opportunities at

Can I talk with your office about my student's financial aid?

Federal law protects the privacy of student education records so the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office must have permission from the student to release any information about their financial aid file. Students may list parents as authorized third parties, in MyNEVADA. Students may do so by Navigating to the Student Center, then "Manage Third Party Releases". This procedure assures compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Why do we have to include parent income information on the FAFSA?

As defined by the Department of Education, students are considered to be dependent until they can answer "Yes" to one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a graduate student, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Until that time, they must provide parent information on the FAFSA.

If I am divorced, what information should my student report on the FAFSA?

The student should answer the parental information questions about the parent they lived with more during the past 12 months. If the student did not live with one parent more than the other, the answers should be about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months. If the parent for whom the student should provide information is remarried as of the FAFSA filing date, the answers must include stepparent information, including income and assets.

What is "verification" and why was my student selected?

Verification is a process whereby the information reported on the FAFSA is confirmed with tax returns and other documents. Since the FAFSA may be filed prior to tax filing, it is crucial that our office ensure that the information is accurate and that the funds are awarded only to eligible students.

If your student is selected, you are required to submit the documents required. Those are reviewed and when discrepancies are found, corrections are sent to the federal processor to recalculate the eligibility. It may result in a decrease in total aid, loss of the Pell Grant and other grant aid, or an increase in total aid and loans.

What is the cost of attendance?

Cost of attendance (COA) includes tuition and fees; room and board (or a housing and food allowance); and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and personal expenses. Our office provides an estimate of the student's COA on the financial aid award letter.

How do I apply for a PLUS loan?

Navigate to and login using your PIN from the FAFSA. Select "request a PLUS loan". Follow through the application process. At the end of the application you will be notified if you were approved for the loan. Select applicable options to proceed with the loan. The University will automatically receive the results of your application and process accordingly.

What happens if I'm denied for the PLUS loan?

If you are denied for the PLUS loan based on adverse credit history, you will be provided with the following options:

1. Pursue Endorser: Apply for the PLUS loan with a creditworthy endorser.

2. Additional Unsubsidized Loan: This option will automatically notify our office to offer your son/daughter additional loan eligibility in their name. You can review the additional loan eligibility information at

3. Appeal Credit Decision: Appeal credit decision information by submitting documentation of extenuating circumstances.

4. Undecided: This option will leave your application in a pending status.

When are fees due?

Fees are due the Friday before the semester begins. Student billing notices are sent from the Cashiers Office to the email address that the student has on their MyNEVADA account. You can also view you bill online at any time by visiting MyNEVADA and selecting Student Center Dashboard, then Communication Center on the right side of the screen.

Students needing to set up the tuition and/or housing payment plan can do so in MyNEVADA.

Financial aid begins to apply to the student's University account no earlier than 7 days before the semester begins provided the student has received an offer of aid, meets satisfactory progress and is enrolled.

If my student is not eligible for aid based on satisfactory academic progress (SAP), what aid does that affect?

Students who are not meeting SAP are not eligible for any federal or state aid, including: Stafford and PLUS loans, Pell and State Grants, Institutional Loans, and Federal Work Study.

Scholarships can be affected based on the requirements set by the donor. For outside scholarships, students should contact their donor to find out if they will continue to be funded.

Alternative/Private loans may be affected. For full private/alternative loan SAP requirements.

What is the benefit of accepting work study if my student already has an on-campus job?

Work-study funds pay 75% of employee wages so this type of aid may allow an employer to offer more hours (up to the 25 hour per week limit), offer summer employment when work-study funds are not available or consider giving a meritorious student employee a raise. A student should present the work study placement letter to the employer and discuss these options before deciding whether or not to accept the work study offer.