- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.A., Washington
- A.B., University of Nebraska
- Composition and rhetoric
- Teaching of writing
- Autobiography/life writing
- Western American literature
- "Anthropomorphizing the Essay: Loren Eiseley's Representations of Animals." Artifacts and Illuminations: Critical Essays on Loren Eiseley. Ed. Tom Lynch and Susan N. Maher. Lincoln: U Nebraska P, 2012. 99-122.
- Co-editor with Gioia Woods. On Western Subjects: Autobiographical Writing in the North American West. Salt Lake: University of Utah Press, 2004.
- "Feminism and Composition: Inclusion, Metonymy, and Disruption" (with Joy Ritchie). CCC 50 (1999): 585-606. Reprinted in Trends and Issues in Postsecondary English Studies (NCTE, 2000); Cross-talk in Comp Theory (NCTE, 2003); and Feminism and Composition: a Critical Sourcebook (NCTE, 2003).