- Ph.D., Germanic Philology, University of Minnesota, 1986
Dennis Cronan earned his Ph.D. at the University of Minnesota in Germanic philology, a program that enabled him to study widely in early Germanic languages and literature. He specializes in Old and Middle English, Old Norse, poetic language, poetics, and literary history. He is currently researching a book on Old English poetic language.
- Old and Middle English language and literature
- Old Norse language and literature
- Poetic language
- Literary history
- CH 201 - Ancient and Medieval Cultures
- ENG 281- Introduction to Language
- ENG 412A/612A - Introduction to Linguistics
- ENG 414A/614A - History of the Language
- ENG 415A - Old English
- ENG 415D/615D - Introduction to Old Norse
- ENG 431A - Beowulf
- ENG 432A/632A - Chaucer
- ENG 440A/640A - Medieval English Literature
- ENG 482A/682A - Literature of the Middle Ages
- ENG 717 - Old English
- ENG 718 - Beowulf
- ENG 720 - Problems in Medieval English
- "The Poetics of Poetic Words in Old English." Old English Philology: Studies in Honour of R.D. Fulk. Ed. Leonard Neidorf, Rafael Pascual and Tom Shippey. Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 256-75. Forthcoming.
- "Beowulf and the Containment of Scyld in the West Saxon Royal Genealogy." The Dating of Beowulf: A Reassessment. Ed. Leonard Neidorf. Cambridge: D. S. Brewer, 2014, 112-37.
- "Cædmon's Audience." Studies in Philology 109 (2012): 333-63.
- "Poetic Words, Conservatism, and the Dating of Old English Poetry." Anglo-Saxon England, 33 (2004): 23-50.