Sources for Additional Funding

Additional Funding

Graduate students have multiple opportunities for financial aid at the University.

The English Department offers a variety of annual awards and scholarships. The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships provides information and assistance in applying for loans and university merit-based scholarships. The University's Graduate Student Association also provides its own scholarships, grants, and loans to qualified graduate students.

On-campus employment opportunities are available at the Writing Center and in the Intensive English Language Center. Teaching assistants who wish to take on additional work must get approval for an overload.

For additional financial aid options, see the list of external funding opportunities, below. Whether in the form of a scholarship, loan, grant, or fellowship, the financial support you need to pursue your education is available at the University of Nevada, Reno.

English Department Support

In addition to Teaching Assistantships, other forms of financial support are available through the English Department, including Letter-of-Appointment teaching, travel awards, summer research assistantships, scholarships and fellowships.

Letter-of-Appointment Teaching: LOAs teach first-year courses on a part-time, course-by-course basis. If you are interested in applying to teach as a LOA, please contact the English Department's Core Writing Program. In addition to being paid for the courses they teach, LOAs receive reduced tuition, for up to six credits, equal to the number of credits they are teaching. For example, if a LOA teaches a three-credit course, then the tuition for three of the graduate credits he or she is taking that semester is reduced.

Travel Awards: Graduate students may apply for up to $300 per year toward travel to a conference at which they are presenting a paper.

Summer Research Assistantships: Continuing graduate students are eligible to apply for a summer research assistantship, designed to provide supplemental financial assistance, to give students an opportunity to gain experience in various academic fields, and to help prepare them to undertake their own future research projects. SRAs pay $15 per hour up to a maximum of $1,200 (80 hours) for a student to work on a faculty member's summer research project.

Scholarships and Fellowships: The English Department awards a variety of annual scholarships and fellowships, including the Douglass Memorial Scholarship for teaching, the Ronald Memorial Dissertation Fellowship, the Macmillan and DQ Scholarships for writing, and the Leonard Scholarship for academic excellence. The department also has had good success nominating English students for university and system-wide scholarships, such as Access Scholarships and the Regents Outstanding Scholar Award.

Graduate Student Association

The Graduate Student Association is one of the main sources of financial aid for the graduate student population. Each spring semester, the GSA sponsors an awards program for outstanding University graduate students, and awards scholarships and grants in several categories, including research, teaching, and mentoring.

In addition to merit-based scholarships and loans, the GSA also provides travel grants to graduate students attending professional conferences, and offers a number of need-based scholarships, grants, and loans for current graduate students, including scholarships for childcare and medical hardships, loans for purchasing computer equipment, and grants for students experiencing unexpected financial crises. Additionally, the GSA Household Items program collects and distributes various furniture items and other household necessities for current graduate students. Visit them in-person at the Joe Crowley Student Union, or online.

Writing Center

The University Writing Center provides writing assistance to the entire student population, from undergraduate to graduate, in any stage of the writing process. Writing tutors assist students via one-on-one peer consultation or in small group instruction.

The Writing Center is partially funded by student fees, and staffed entirely by a team of committed undergraduate and graduate students. New writing consultants are hired at the end of each semester.

Intensive English Language Center

The Intensive English Language Center provides English language instruction to international students and non-native speakers wishing to improve their English language ability. Additionally, the IELC helps prepare students for general academic studies by teaching language and study skills in addition to introducing students to American culture and university life. Employment opportunities may be available for qualified graduate students.

Extramural Scholarships & Fellowships

Below is a brief listing of some of the many national and local financial aid opportunities available to qualified graduate students.
GRAPES: Search engine for graduate funding:
The UCLA Graduate Division has an open search engine to identify funding sources for graduate students and post-docs. The UCLA GRAPES database contains information on over 500 private and publicly funded awards, fellowships, and internships for prospective and current graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.
Advanced search options allow users to refine their search by field, academic level, award type, award amount, and other criteria.
Access the database at:
Humanities Fellowships for ABDs:
Tulips Abstract
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships-- The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships are designed to encourage original and significant study of ethical or religious values in all fields of the humanities and social sciences, and particularly to help PhD candidates in these fields complete their dissertation work in a timely manner. For more information, click here.
Henry Frank Guggenheim Foundation-- The foundation welcomes proposals from any of the natural and social sciences and the humanities that promise to increase understanding of the causes, manifestations, and control of violence, aggression, and dominance. Highest priority is given to research that can increase understanding and amelioration of urgent problems of violence, aggression, and dominance in the modern world. For more information, click here.
Jacob K. Javits Fellowships Program-- This program provides fellowships to students of superior academic ability-selected on the basis of demonstrated achievement, financial need, and exceptional promise-to undertake study at the doctoral and Master of Fine Arts level in selected fields of arts, humanities, and social sciences. For more information, click here.
Mellon Fellowships for Dissertation Research in the Humanities and Original Sources-- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation fellowships are for students in the humanities or in a related element of the social sciences who are planning to do dissertation research primarily in original source material in the holdings of archives, libraries, historical societies, museums, related repositories, or a combination. For more information, click here.
Mellon Foundation/American Council of Learned Societies Dissertation Completion Fellowship-- This program assists graduate students in the humanities or related social sciences in the last year of PhD dissertation writing. Students must have completed all requirements for the PhD except the dissertation. For more information, click here.
Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellowships-- The Dissertation Fellowship Program seeks to encourage a new generation of scholars from a wide range of disciplines and professional fields to undertake research relevant to the improvement of education. For more information, click here.
Grants for Women:
American Association of University Women (AAUW) Fellowships-- The AAUW Educational Foundation supports aspiring scholars around the globe, teachers and activists in local communities, women at critical stages of their careers, and those pursuing professions where women are underrepresented. AAUW offers a variety of fellowships to both international and American female students. For more information, click here.
Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund Grants-- Margaret McNamara Memorial Fund (MMMF) awards grants to outstanding women from developing countries, who are completing degrees at U.S./Canadian universities, and are committed to improving the well being of women and children in developing countries. For more information, click here.
Grants for Minority Students:
Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships for Minorities-- Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships for Minorities are three-year awards in the fields of behavioral and social sciences, literature and languages, history, philosophy and religion, life sciences, chemistry, earth sciences, physics and astronomy, engineering, mathematics and computer science. There are around 40 of these awards, which are open to U.S. citizens or nationals who are members of the following minority groups: Alaskan Natives (Eskimo or Aleut), Native American Indians, Black/African Americans, Mexican Americans/Chicanos, Native Pacific Islanders (Polynesian or Micronesian) and Puerto Ricans. For more information, click here.
Grants for Washoe County:
Kendyl Depoali Memorial Scholarship-- The Kendyl Depoali Scholarship has been created to help teachers get as much education as they can so that they can become even more effective educators in their content areas to help all of Washoe County School District's students to succeed. Applicants must be full-time middle-school or high school teachers in the Washoe County School District. For more information, click here.

UNR Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships