Credit-by-Exam: ENG 102
All currently enrolled, degree-seeking students whose ACT or SAT scores place them in ENG 102 or who have completed ENG 101, or similar course, and want earn ENG 102 credit without taking a course are eligible to take the ENG 102 Credit-by-Exam.
The English 102 Credit-by-Exam tests the writing skills taught in English 102. It presupposes a knowledge of English grammar and mechanics, skill in organizing and developing competent persuasive and analytic essays, fluency in expressing ideas in written form, and the ability to discover, structure, and present a finished research paper.
- Get the Application for "Credit by Special Department Examination" form from Admissions and Records located in the Fitzgerald Student Services Building.
- Acquire the following mandatory signatures:
- A signature from your advisor or the Advising Center in line [a] (Note: If you are undeclared, your advisor and dean are in the College of Liberal Arts in the Ansari Business Building);
- The chair of the English department for line [b]; (Note: Do not email the chair to obtain this signature, please bring the form to the Core Writing Program office (Frandsen Hall 131). You will leave the form, and signatures will be obtained once each day. You may pick up your form the following morning);
- The dean of the college for your declared major for line [c] (Note: Do not email the dean. Take the form to your dean's office for signature); and finally,
- The final two signature spaces, "Name of faculty member to give exam" and "Instructor's Signature," are for the Core Writing Committee.
- After you have collected signatures A, B, and C, take the form to the cashier and pay the $25 exam fee. (Note: The cashier may not accept payment unless the form has these three signatures.)
- Take the original completed form to the Core Writing office (Frandsen Hall 131), and begin preparing your portfolio.