Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to an exchange program?

Most partner institutions require a very short application to the exchange program. The University of Nevada, Reno Office of International Students and Scholars also requires applicants to fill out and submit certain forms prior to studying abroad so we can make sure that you have the necessary insurance while you are overseas and also confirm financial aid eligibility and student status. 

Additionally, please contact the Advising Center at to discuss coursework and transfer credits.

What is the difference between exchange programs and study abroad?

Engineering exchange programs have been set up with selected partner institutions to offer engineering students exposure to the study of engineering in other countries. These programs offer our students unique opportunities to prepare for an engineering career in a global society while also taking courses that can transfer back to your degree program at the University of Nevada, Reno.

Both College of Engineering exchange programs and USAC study abroad offer incredible opportunities to learn in a new country, and we encourage you to explore your options to find a program that excites you.

Can I still graduate on time if I spend a semester abroad?

One of the benefits of our exchange programs is that our partner institutions offer engineering classes. The College also requires students planning to participate in an exchange program to attend individualized pre-departure advising, where we will help you select your classes and determine how they fit into your degree plan.

In general, students who study abroad during their sophomore year will have an easier time transferring credits back toward their major than students who study abroad as juniors or seniors.

How much does it cost to participate in an exchange program?

Students participating in an academic year exchange pay University of Nevada, Reno tuition and fees while abroad. You are responsible for your own travel and living expenses during your exchange as well as any mandatory fees, other than tuition, charged by the partner institution.

Are there scholarships available for exchange program participants?

The College of Engineering offers a $500 scholarship to qualified students participating in exchange programs.

In many cases, financial aid or scholarships you are already receiving as a University student still apply during your exchange program. Final determinations on eligibility must be made by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Do I need to speak a foreign language to participate in an exchange program?

The majority of our partner institutions offer some or all of their courses in English, so foreign language skills are not required for students who wish to participate in an exchange program.

However, some knowledge of the local language can be an advantage. Many of our partner institutions offer language classes as part of the exchange program.

Will I be safe when I study abroad?

The safety of our students abroad is one of our highest priorities. We have carefully selected our partner institutions to ensure that students studying abroad will be in safe university locations. Before you leave and during your exchange program, you will be in contact with international student advisors at your host university who can help you find housing, figure out transportation needs and answer questions about cultural differences.

Additionally, the University of Nevada, Reno monitors U.S. State Department notifications for your host country (which we suggest you do also) and will advise you accordingly.