Examples of utility failures are loss of electricity, heating, ventilation, or air conditioning. Other failures are problems with natural gas or plumbing, including water leaks, flooding, or lack of water pressure.
- Notify Facilities Services: (775) 784-8020. If telephones are not operating properly, send a messenger to the Facilities Services.
- If evacuation is required, follow evacuation procedures and use the stairway.
- In a laboratory, ventilation hoods do not work during a power outage and vapors may reach hazardous concentrations. Personnel should secure experiments or activities that present a danger when the power is off, or if it is restored unexpectedly.
If you are inside an elevator during an elevator failure:
- Remain calm; elevators have mechanical brakes that operate in all situations.
- Use the emergency telephone in the elevator to call for help. Turn on the “Emergency” alarm to alert others and signal your need for help.
If you are outside the elevator during an elevator failure:
- If there are passengers inside the elevator, tell them to remain calm.
- Call Facilities Services: (775) 784-8020 and report the building name, floor, which elevator, and if passengers are trapped.