Mr. Matles has over two decades of experience in Healthcare Safety & Emergency Management. He has worked for a variety of hospitals and clinic groups in California North Bay and Reno, NV (including a Level II Trauma Center) as well as a consortium of tribally owned and operated medical clinics in Nevada. During his career, Mr. Matles has participated in seven Joint Commission surveys and consulted with over 20 hospitals across the nation on healthcare safety, hazmat, and emergency management issues.
Recently, Mr. Matles served as a Hospital Incident Commander during the Northern California Tubbs Fire (2017). He has also participated on the update of the Hospital Incident Command System versions IV and V. He has also been a site reviewer and subject matter expert for the American College of Emergency Physicians.
Mr. Matles’ board certifications include Occupational Hygiene and Safety, Healthcare Safety; and Healthcare Emergency Management. In the past he has held certifications as an Emergency Medical Technician (30 years), Hazmat Technician and Incident Commander (12 years). He is the co-inventor of the Doff-It® Kit for hazmat contaminated victims.
He holds a Masters in Disaster and Emergency Management from American Military University, a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Biomedical Communications from the University Of Texas School Of Allied Health and a Bachelor’s in Communications from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale.
M.A. (with Honors), Disaster and Emergency Management, American Military University, 2012
PBD Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, Biomedical Communications, University of Texas School of Allied Health, 1977
B.S., Communications and Broadcasting, Southern Illinois University - Carbondale, 1976
- OHST - Occupational Hygiene and Safety Technologist / Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- CHSP - Certified Healthcare Safety Professional-Masters Level / International Board for Certification of Safety Managers
- CHEP - Certified Healthcare Emergency Preparedness Professional / International Board for Certification of Safety Managers
- Charter Boat Captain / United States Coast Guard
- American Society of Safety Professionals
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- American Society of Healthcare Engineering - American Hospital Association
- Association of Healthcare Emergency Preparedness Professionals