Identity verification overview
At least one identity verification assessment or experience per class, where students are required to present photo identification upon beginning the assessment, is required of an accredited university. Therefore, every online class must include at least one identity verification assessment. Classes that do not include an identity verification assessment must include at least one exam that is administered in a proctored/supervised setting.
Unless otherwise stated, or unless the exam is conducted by the instructor, students may choose from the following proctoring options:
- Test in person at the University Testing Center on the University of Nevada, Reno campus
- Test remotely via an online proctoring system
Students are required to take all proctored exams. Students may not retake proctored exams under any circumstance. Exams must be taken during the week listed in the syllabus. Failure to take the exam during the exam week may result in a failing grade on the exam.
Regardless of which type of identity verification assessment is required in a class or which proctoring option students choose, they will need to confirm their identity by presenting valid picture identification prior to the start of the assessment. Acceptable forms of identification include school or government-issued ID cards.
If testing remotely, a picture of the ID will be taken for review by the instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the ID meets the specifications stated above. If it is determined that the form of ID presented is unacceptable, the exam will be invalidated.
Testing at the University Testing Center
Please visit the University Testing Center’s website for important information on their testing process and requirements.
Students who choose to test remotely must have access to the following prior to testing:
- Compatible browser and any necessary extensions (specific requirements available in the course site).
- A webcam and microphone connected to their computer. iPads and other tablets cannot be used and headphones are not permitted.
- A mirror at least 3×5" (inches) in size. They You will be required to show the reflection of their computer monitor and webcam using a mirror.
- Strong Internet connection (wired Internet connection is strongly recommended).
- A private, quiet space in which to take the exam.
- A desk or table clear of all unauthorized materials.
Identity verification policies
At least one Identity Verification Assessment or experience per course, where students are required to present valid photo identification upon beginning the assessment is required in all online courses at the University of Nevada, Reno. This system meets federal requirements, accreditation guidelines, and allows the instructor to know that the student mastering the material is the same student receiving credit for the course.Students must have valid photo identification to continue in the course.
Please see the Office of the Provost’s Student identity verification for online classes page for more information.
Proctored exam testing policies
The following policies apply to all students whose online class includes at least one proctored exam as its Identity Verification Assessment. These policies are also found in the student’s course site within WebCampus and will be provided prior to taking proctored exams. Regardless of proctoring method chosen by the student or employed in the course by the instructor, all students must adhere to the following policies:
- Students must remain within the exam site at all times. Authorized materials will be made available in the exam. Attempting to access external websites and/or course materials in the course site is never permitted and will invalidate the exam, resulting in sanctions according to the University’s Academic Standards Policy and the instructor being notified of the infraction.
- Unpermitted materials (including smart devices, such as cell phones and smart watches) must be stored away from the testing area. All electronic devices must also be turned off.
- Exams taken with Proctorio must be taken on a desktop or laptop via Chrome. Proctorio is incompatible with mobile devices and the Canvas app.
- Exams must be completed alone in a quiet, private location, with no distractions. The testing environment must remain secure throughout the exam. No other individuals may remain in or enter the testing area for the duration of the exam.
- Students may be asked to conduct room security checks at any point during an exam. All requested security checks must be performed. Loss of time during these security checks cannot be made up.
- Students must conduct themselves professionally throughout the duration of the exam. Any inappropriate or illicit behaviors will be reported accordingly.
- Students who test with Examity or Proctorio must meet all technical specifications and have read all remote proctoring information prior to testing.
- Students who choose to test at the University Testing Center must adhere to their policies. Please see the University Testing Center’s webpage for more information.
All remote testing sessions will be recorded. If the proctor or instructor suspects that a violation of testing policies and/or academic dishonesty has occurred, a record of the student’s activity will be consulted during and/or after the completion of the exam.