- Ph.D., Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2017
- M.S., Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2010
- B.S., Electronics & Information Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Hubei, China, 2006
- 8/2017 - Present, Assistant Professor (Full Time) Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV
- 6/2010 - 8/2017, Research Assistant (Full Time) Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, IL
- 8/2007 - 6/2010, Research and Teaching Assistant (Full Time) Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Network security
- Fault-tolerant systems
- Cyber-physical systems
- Resilient power systems
Reviewers of IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Proceedings of the IEEE, Computers & Security (COSE), International Workshop on Communication, Computing, and Networking in Cyber-Physical Systems (CCN-CPS 2016), IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2012, 2015, and 2016), Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2014), IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2015), IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communication (SmartGridComm 2015), IEEE Global Communication Conference (Globecom 2015), IEEE International on-Line Testing Symposium (IOLTS 2013), International Conference on Computer Safety, Reliability & Security (SafeComp 2012), Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research Workshop (CSIIRW 2012)
- Best poster award, Workshop on Science of Security through Software-Defined Networking (SoSSDN), 2016, Chicago, IL
- Student Travel Grant, ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), November 2013, Berlin, Germany
- Third Place, Best Paper Award, 8th Cyber Security & Information Intelligence Research Workshop, 2013, Oak Ridge, TN
Selected and recent publications
- Hui Lin, Chen Chen, Jianhui Wang, Junjian Qi, Dong Jin, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk, Ravishankar K. Iyer, Self-Healing Attack-Resilient PMU Network for Power System Operation, in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, July 27¬th, 2016, doi: 10.1109/TSG.2016.2593021. (invited to present at INFORMS 2016 Annual Meeting)
- Hui Lin, Adam Slagell, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk, Peter W. Sauer, and Ravishankar K. Iyer, Runtime Semantic Security Analysis to Detect and Mitigate Control-related Attacks in Power Grids, in IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, March 28th, 2016, doi:10.1109/TSG.2016.2547742.
- Esther Amullen, Hui Lin, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk and Lee Keel, Multi-agent System for Detecting False Data Injection Attacks Against the Power Grid, in Proceedings of the Second Annual Industrial Control System Security Workshop (ICSS ‘16) (co-first authors).
- Hui Lin, Homa Alemzadeh, Daniel Chen, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk, Ravishankar K. Iyer, Safety-critical Cyber-physical Attacks: Analysis, Detection, and Mitigation, in Proceedings of the Symposium and Bootcamp on the Science of Security (HotSos '16), doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2898375.2898391.
- Xinshu Dong, Hui Lin, Rui Tan, Ravishankar K. Iyer and Zbigniew T. Kalbarczyk, Software-Defined Networking for Smart Grid Resilience: Opportunities and Challenges, in Proceedings of ACM AsiaCCS Workshop on Cyber-Physical System Security, April 2015.
- Hui Lin, Adam Slagell, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk, Peter Sauer, and Ravishankar K. Iyer, Semantic Security Analysis of SCADA Networks to Detect Malicious Control Commands in Power Grids, in Proceeding of ACM CCS Smart Energy Grid Security Workshop, Berlin, Germany, Nov., 2013.
- Hui Lin, Adam Slagell, Catello Di Martino, Zbigniew Kalbarczyk, and Ravishankar K. Iyer, Adapting Bro into SCADA: Building a Specification-based Intrusion Detection System for the DNP3 Protocol, in Proceeding of 8th Cyber Security & Information Intelligence Research Workshop (CSIIRW '12), Oak Ridge National Lab, Jan., 2013. (Third Place, Best Paper Award).
- Hui Lin, Md. Sajjad Rahaman, Masud H Chowdhury, Microarchitecture Support for Interconnect Power-aware Instruction Permutation, in Proceeding of The IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS) 2010.
- Hui Lin and Gyungho Lee, Micro-architecture support for integrity measurement on dynamic instruction trace, Journal of Information Security 1, no. 01 (2010): 1.