Costs for first-year, in-state transfer students

You can afford a Nevada education

No student debt

More than 50 percent of students graduating leave with no student debt

Scholarships and grants

The total amount of scholarships and grants at the University is $87 million annually

Affordable tuition

Under $8,000 per year resident tuition and fees


2020-21 expenses for a Nevada transfer student

What expenses do you have to consider?

As a transfer student from Nevada at the University of Nevada, Reno, you may pay for tuition and fees, on-campus housing and meals. Personal expenses, transportation costs and books vary by student, but should be factored into your budget planning. For more information, you may review our undergraduate student budgets for an idea of what costs may look like after considering financial aid.

In-state, undergraduate transfer student estimated costs
Expense Amount
Base tuition (30 credits per year) $7,470
Mandatory fees (per year) $1,118
On-campus housing and meals (per year) $10,360*
Books and supplies (per year) $1,200*
Total $20,148

*These are starting point estimates for budgeting purposes and may vary due to housing options, mandatory fees, meal plan selections, course requirements and individual student needs.


Transferring to the University of Nevada, Reno

We will help you through each step of the transfer process to the University.

Pathway programs

The University partners with Nevada's community colleges and select community colleges in California, Washington and Texas to ease the transfer process to the University of Nevada, Reno. Learn more about these programs and sign-up if you are eligible.

Transferring credits

The Transfer Office will work with you to figure out how your credits will transfer to the University and help you develop a plan from enrollment to graduation.


Applying for financial aid

To receive federal financial aid (grants, loans and Work Study) you must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid each year. The FAFSA opens every October 1 and the University's priority filing date for institutional scholarships and grants is February 15.

Aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early.


Grants are need-based aid awarded to qualified undergraduate students demonstrating exceptional financial need. Grants do not have to be repaid as long as enrollment for the semester in which you receive the grant is maintained.


If grants, scholarships and family assistance do not cover the costs of attending college, you might consider loans. Though loan money must be repaid, federal loans typically offer the lowest interest rates. Learn more about loans and if they’re the right fit.

Work Study

Students eligible for need-based financial aid programs can participate in Work Study. This federally funded program helps students pay for college by working on or off campus. You must submit a FAFSA for consideration.


Contact us for more information

Transfer Office
Fitzgerald Student Services
Phone: (775) 784-4700, opt. 1

Book an appointment today