Guidance for students or employees with a suspected or positive COVID-19 case
The following must be followed in the event of COVID-19 symptoms, exposure or a positive test:
Students/employees must stay home or leave work immediately if COVID-19-like symptoms develop. You are encouraged to call your health care provider for an assessment and possible COVID-19 testing.
Students/employees with a positive test. If you have a positive test, you are encouraged to fill out a COVID-19 reporting form to assist with contact tracing.
Students/employees who have had close contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19. Whenever possible, CDC currently continues to recommend a quarantine period of fourteen (14) days for those who have been a close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19. However, the following options to shorten quarantine are acceptable alternatives.
- Individuals who have come in close contact with someone infected with COVID-19 may be released from quarantine and resume normal activities after ten (10) days as long as they remain asymptomatic and continue to self-monitor for symptoms for fourteen (14) days after their most recent exposure. This includes, but is not limited to, at home quarantine, in a hotel or dormitory room or in a group quarantine facility.
- When diagnostic testing resources are sufficient and available for asymptomatic individuals, quarantine can end after seven (7) days if a test is done on day five (5) of the quarantine period and the test result is received by day seven (7).
Due to testing demands in our community, the CDC’s shorter seven (7) day quarantine is currently not within the Washoe County Health District or the University’s guidelines for employees and students.
Students/employees who have been a contact of a contact. You do not need to self-quarantine or leave work or class.
Students/employees with mild and to moderate symptoms. Individuals with mild to moderate symptoms who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 should stay home and self-isolate until the following:
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
- At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without fever-reducing medication and
- Symptoms have improved
Students/employees with severe or critical illness or who are severely immunocompromised. Individuals with severe or critical illness or who are severely immunocompromised should stay home and self-isolate until the following:
- At least 20 days have passed since symptoms first appeared and
- At least 24 hours have passed since last fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
- Symptoms have improved
Students/employees who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 who are asymptomatic. Individuals who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 who are asymptomatic should stay home and self-isolate for 10 days after their positive test.