University reduced buildings operations plan
Remote instruction starting on Nov. 30, 2020 and the extended winter break through Jan. 24, 2021 presents an opportunity to achieve significant savings by reducing building services. While the student body is away, the the heat will be reduced in many campus buildings and other service reductions will be implemented. Staff are asked to work from home as directed by their supervisor during this time.
During the campus closure last spring, we saw a reduction in our utility consumption equating to just over $500,000 in savings compared to the same period the year prior. These savings were achieved without deliberate effort. During the closure this fall and winter, with a more focused effort, we hope to achieve even greater savings. All utilities savings are aggregated in the centrally managed utility accounts and will be used to offset budget reductions.
Just as importantly, by reducing building services, we will be doing our part to slow the recent surge in COVID-19 cases throughout our community by lessening the density of individuals on our campus and by reducing the potential of spread through in-person gatherings in many of our buildings. This was a major goal for Nevada stated by Gov. Steve Sisolak last week during his “Stay at Home 2.0” announcement.
Reduced building operations overview
- Buildings under reduced operations will be locked.
- Access to reduced operations building allowed. Access is permitted should an individual need to pick something up or otherwise access their space.
- Door and space access will require a key or keycard. Exterior door and space access by any individual will require a key or key card. During remote operations, if the individual does not have exterior door access, they should gain access from a supervisor or formally request keys through key request processes (by appointment only). Per the University Administrative Manual, Facilities Services and Police Services will not grant access to buildings.
- Eating or disposing of food is prohibited. Eating or disposing of food waste in the building is prohibited as custodial service will be infrequent and pests are unwanted.
- Break and office areas must be free of perishable items. Food must be removed from break and office areas and refrigerators emptied of all perishable items.
- Buildings checked weekly. Buildings will be cleaned and checked once per week.
- No trash or recyling services available. No trash or recycle services will be provided.
- Building temperature will be reduced. The temperature in the buildings will be reduced to the lowest safe level, likely in the 50 to 60 degree range. In buildings where thermostats are controlled locally and occupancy is reduced, occupants may receive an email with instructions for adjusting the thermostat downward. Overriding building thermostats is prohibited.
- Space heaters not allowed. Space heaters are prohibited.
- All small appliances and electronic equipment must be unplugged. Occupants must unplug all unused small appliances and electronic equipment prior to departure for the closure, this includes toasters, coffee makers, personal refrigerators (emptied first and doors left ajar), computer monitors, printers, scanners, copiers, etc. Computers should be turned off unless they are necessary for remote access.
- Problems must be repoted to Facilities Services Service Center. If an occupant arrives at the building and discovers a building problem, they must report it to the Facilities Services Department Service Center at 784-8020; this number is monitored 24/7 and provides access to the Standby Team in the event of an after-hours emergency.
- Utility Plant will be operational. The Utility Plant will remain operational with personnel on site 24/7.
- Snow removal service operations remain in effect. The Weather Essential Team will provide weekday snow removal services as usual during remote operations to maintain safe access to occupied buildings and response to weekend snow removal will be event-dependent
- Maintenance technicials will be available. Facilities Services will have maintenance technicians available during regular business hours to take care of any calls for service, preventative maintenance and critical repairs.
- Custodial team will be providing services. The custodial team will provide weekly services for closed buildings and open buildings will receive daily weekday service.
For further details or questions, contact your supervisor.
Reduced building operations list
|Building Name||Reduced Operations Dates|
|Artemesia||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Basque Studies (MIKC)||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Cain Hall (except KUNR)||Dec. 17, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Child Care Facility||Dec. 24, 2020-Jan. 3, 2021|
|Clark Administration||Dec. 17, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Claude Howard System Administration (NSHE)||Nov. 30, 2020-Jan. 4, 2021|
|Continuing Education||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Davidson Math and Science Center||Dec. 17, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Facilities Services||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Facilities Annex||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Frandsen Humanities||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Jones Center||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Jot Travis (Davidson Academy)||Dec. 21, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Knudtsen Resource Center||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Lincoln Hall||Dec. 5, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Mackay Mines (except DeLaMare)||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Marguerite Petersen Athletic Center||Dec. 17, 2020-Dec. 27, 2020|
|Morrill Hall||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|National Judicial College (Library)||Dec. 5, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|National Judicial College (Grant Sawyer and Judicial Studies)||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Nell J. Redfield Campus (Building A)||Dec. 25, 2020-Jan. 3, 2021|
|OIT Modular 1||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Orvis Building||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Parking Services||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Peccole Batting and Offices||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Raggio Daycare||Dec. 24, 2020-Jan. 3, 2021|
|Redfield Campus, Suite 100 (Social Work)||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|Reynolds School of Journalism||Dec. 17, 2020-Dec. 27, 2020|
|Schulich Lecture Hall||Dec. 17, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Shuttle Modular||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 24, 2021|
|System Computing Center||Nov. 30, 2020-Jan. 4, 2021|
|The Den||Dec. 27, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Thompson Building||Dec. 17, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
|Virginia Street Gym||Nov. 26, 2020-Jan. 18, 2021|
Occupied building operations
If the building is not listed above, it will be occupied in whole, or in part, from November 30, 2020 to January 24, 2021. If the building is public serving, it will be open and unlocked per established operating hours. If the building is not public serving, it will be locked to enhance security during reduced occupancy periods.
For details or questions, contact your supervisor.