As faculty in the Department of Communication Studies at University of Nevada, Reno, we aim:
- To continuously refine and strengthen the quality of our undergraduate program. Our undergraduate curriculum will balance communication concepts and theory alongside skill development and communication practice. We emphasize communication occurring in specific contexts and crafted for specific audiences.
- To continue to develop master specializations in the field through our Relational Dynamics and Public Advocacy and Civic Engagement tracks.
- To continue to contribute to the liberal arts mission of the University by providing courses to develop the communication and critical thinking skills of all students.
- To continue to contribute to the interdisciplinary mission of the School of Social Research and Justice Studies by developing and teaching courses to compliment related departments.
- To encourage all students to view learning as a life-long process and provide opportunities for students to take part in vocational and scholarly practices of communication.
- To encourage all faculty and students to take part in scholarship, research and creative activity through all avenues of research (critical, empirical, qualitative, quantitative and rhetorical).
- To contribute to the interdisciplinary research mission of the School of Social Research and Justice Studies in understanding modern society, social justice and social change.
- To promote the study and research of communication to audiences outside the discipline.
- To prepare undergraduate (and graduate) students for future study through fostering original research projects and mentoring students in presenting and publishing research.
- To contribute to the University's mission of serving the Nevada community through the development of service programs (ex: developing mediation center, public lecture events, etc).
- To prepare students for a variety of career and service opportunities as they related to the study of communication and the development of communication competencies, including adapting to future communication technologies and contexts.
Ethics and Social Justice
- To promote critical awareness and appreciation of diversity and inclusion in our pedagogy, research and service practices.
- To cultivate in our students and faculty a sense of civic and social responsibility through our courses, programs and research. This includes cultivating civility in discourse and promoting ethical and responsible communication in relational dynamics.
- To develop and promote communication that advocates against injustice and promotes human rights.