Skip Site Navigation
Skip To Page Content

Recent News

Contact Information

Communication Studies

Phone(775) 784-6839
Location Lincoln Hall(LH) 318
Address 1664 N. Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89557
Contact Contact Us

Student Advisement

Contact your assigned student advisor for questions about the major, minor or to declare Communication Studies!

Graduate Student Advising
Dr. Sarah Blithe
(LH 305)
Email with questions regarding the MA Program in Communication Studies

Undergraduate Student Advising
**All majors and minors must see the advisor to have their declaration form signed**

Saralinda Seibert (LH 316)
Advising for Last Names A-M
Hours held Tuesday 11-12 pm and Wednesday 12-2 pm

Sam Crostic (LH 317)
Advising for Last Names N-Z
Hours held Monday 12-2 pm and Wednesday 1-2 pm

Undergraduate Listserve
To subscribe go to:


  1. How do I declare my major?
  2. Drop in to your assigned advisor’s office hours.  He/she will verify you have at least a 2.0 GPA and will sign your Major Declaration form.  You will take the form to the Office of Admissions and Records, on the 2nd floor of the student services building. **All majors and minors must see the advisor to have their declaration form signed**

  3. How do I declare my minor?
  4. Drop in to your assigned advisor’s office hours.  He/she will sign your Minor Declaration form.  You will take the form to the Office of Admissions and Records, on the 2nd floor of the student services building. **All majors and minors must see the advisor to have their declaration form signed**

  5. What counts for the breadth requirement?
  6. Classes that are in the College of Liberal Arts, but do not count toward your major or minor, or any core requirements count for breadth.  In your senior year, you should email to inform the college of your breadth courses.  (These will not automatically populate on your academic report like your other requirements).  In your email, include your name, ID number, and the name of the courses you want to count for the breadth requirement.

  7. How many semesters of foreign language do I need? 
  8. You need 4 semesters of foreign language, unless you pass out via a proficiency exam, or took an extra year in high school.  You can also meet this requirement through an approved study abroad  program.  Contact the USAC office for information about this option and make sure to say that you want your study abroad experience to work toward your foreign language requirement.

  9. Can I substitute a class?
  10. Every once in a while it is appropriate to substitute a class you took at another university or in another department.  While approved substitutions are rare, if you believe you have a course to substitute, bring a copy of the syllabus to your advisor during office hours.  If you do not have a copy of the syllabus, you must get the course description from the class to present to your advisor, as well as the semester you took the course.

  11. Can I use transfer classes for Communication classes?
  12. Yes.  Many transfer credits will count for Communication credit.  Be aware, however, that most transfer credits come in as Lower Division Communication Studies Electives.  (For example, Group Communication at TMCC transfers as a 200 level class, even though Group Communication is a 300 level class at UNR).

    Classes from non-accredited universities are not accepted.

  13. How do I take an internship?
  14. Sometimes students want to take an internship during their time at the university.  The Career Studio can assist you in finding a suitable internship for career development purposes. 

    Occasionally, communication focused internships may be appropriate for COM Credit.  Getting COM credit for your internship depends upon a number of factors.  First, you must secure an internship that is communication oriented.  Second, you must have a full-time faculty member sponsor your internship.  Faculty members do not always have the capacity to sponsor internships; you should speak with a full-time professor with whom you have a pre-existing relationship to arrange the sponsorship.  If you secure an internship and a sponsor, there is significant academic work required which relates to your internship—the internship itself does not suffice for credit.  Internship credit is NOT available for students who simply want or need upper division credit.

    All internships must be approved by the faculty sponsor, who must be a full-time faculty member, in advance.  There is no retro-active credit for communication internships.  (Students cannot complete an internship and then seek credit for it later).  See potential faculty sponsors first to apply.

  15. How do I take an independent study?
  16. Independent studies are for students completing research or extended studies in conjunction with a faculty member sponsor.  This could take a variety of forms:  1) student is pursing research project with faculty supervisor, 2) student working as research assistant to faculty research, 3) special topic class offered.  Independent study credit is NOT available for students who simply want or need upper division credit.

  17. How do I join the Honors Society (Lambda Pi Eta)?
  18. Lambda Pi Eta is the official national undergraduate honors society for Communication majors. Eligible students must have completed at least 60 semester hours in college with at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA and must have completed at least 12 semester hours in Communication courses with at least a 3.25 GPA in those courses. Additionally, to be considered, students must demonstrate a commitment to the field of Communication and be currently enrolled in good academic standing at the University of Nevada. Members are inducted annually.

    The club advisor Andrew Long invites eligible candidates every fall semester.  If you feel you meet the eligibility requirements and did not hear from him, please contact him at

  19. How do I know if I’m ready to graduate?
  20. Check your advisement report on MyNevada.  It will point our any outstanding requirements that you need.  Keep in mind, the report counts courses in which you have enrolled.  (So if you registered for a particular class but haven’t taken it yet, it will “count” on your advisement report.  If you drop a class, it might change your progress toward graduation.)

  21. How often and when should I meet with my advisor?
  22. You should meet with your advisor at least once a year.  If you need help with registration, you should make an appointment by April 1st for Fall registration and  November 1st for Spring registration. 

  23. Can I take classes online or during the summer?
  24. Yes.  Please check the course schedule for availability.

  25. How do I get rid of an advising registration hold?
  26. Stop by your advisor’s office hours to have an advising appointment.  Make sure to mention that you need your hold lifted.  *Note that the Communication Studies advisors can only help you with advising holds.  There are many types of holds that may prevent you from registering.

  27. Can you please get me into a class that is full?
  28. No, sorry.  Advisors will not enroll you in a course that is full.  You can contact the professor directly if you want permission to enroll in a course that is full.

  29. What kind of career can I get with a Communication Studies degree?
  30. There are many careers you can get with a Communication degree.  Most employers list communication skills as a top qualification for any position, and many other jobs require research, analysis, and writing skills communication studies students learn during the course of study. 

    Communication Studies students might work in private corporations or nonprofit agencies, political or governmental agencies, educational institutions, media/entertainment or public relations agencies, retail industries, or pursue law or graduate school.  Typical jobs for Communication Studies students include:  sales, human resources, career or communication consulting and training, event planning, campaign consultant, social media consultant, or promotions and fundraising.  Talk with your advisor about possible career options of interest to you.

University of Nevada, Reno

University of Nevada, Reno
1664 N. Virginia Street
Reno, NV 89557-

(775) 784-1110
Website Help
Contact Us

Accessibility Tools

Emergency Information
Emergency Alerts
Doing business with us