Master of Music, Music Education
The Department of Music is a member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM). In addition, the Music Education program is a member of the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). CAEP advances excellence in educator preparation through evidence-based accreditation that assures quality and supports continuous improvement to strengthen P-12 student learning.
This degree program is offered for candidates who are active music teachers All Master of Music – Music Education degree candidates must submit a videotape or DVD of their teaching prior to admission into the program..
Since degree requirements and course offerings can change from year to year, consult the General Course Catalog for your appropriate school year's requirements and suggestions.
Candidates for all master's degrees in music should consult the current Department of Music Handbook for information concerning auditions and placement, as well as proficiency examinations. Candidates must complete all Graduate School requirements for the master's degree.
Music Education Faculty
- Kate Pollard, M.M. - Lecturer, Coordinator - Music Education
Vocal Studies and Choral Activities Faculty
- Paul Torkelson, D.M.A. - Director, Choral Activities, Voice
- Albert Rudolph Lee - Director, Nevada Chamber Opera, Voice
- Helen Lee - Voice
National Association for Music Education (NAfME) has a student branch at UNR. With over 60,000 members, the National Association for Music Education has been in existence for over one hundred years. Its mission -- "to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all" -- is based upon a profound philosophy. As NAfME's official Preamble states:
Music allows us to celebrate and preserve our cultural heritages, and also to explore the realms of expression, imagination, and creation resulting in new knowledge. Therefore, every individual should be guaranteed the opportunity to learn music and to share in musical experiences.
Department of Music Graduate Programs of Study
- Master of Arts in Music History / Musicology
- Master of Music in Choral Music Education
- Master of Music in Composition
- Master of Music in Conducting
- Master of Music in General Music Education
- Master of Music in Instrumental Music Education
- Master of Music in Instrumental Performance
- Master of Music in Jazz & Improvisational Music
- Master of Music in Orchestral Career Studies
- Master of Music in Vocal Performance