Dr. McCallen's research interests include computational model development for the evaluation of the nonlinear response of structural and soil systems to extreme loads and the dynamic response of solids and structures with applications to transportation, energy and nuclear infrastructure systems. Additionally, he has recently worked on advanced sensor development for infrastructure instrumentation and the exploitation of emerging web and communication technologies.
- D. McCallen, F. Petrone (2019), An Optical Technique for Measuring Transient and Residual Interstory Drift as Seismic Structural Health Monitoring (S2HM) Observables, Springer Book on Seismic Structural Health Monitoring (in press).
- F. Petrone, D. McCallen, I. Buckle, S. Wu (2018), Direct Measurement of Building Transient and Residual Drift Using an Optical Sensor System, Engineering Structures, Vol. 176, pages 115-126.
- H. Yang, S.K. Kumar, Y. Feng, D. McCallen, B. Jeremic (2018), Energy Dissipation Analysis of Elastic-Plastic Materials, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 331, pages 309-326.
- D. McCallen, F. Petrone, J. Coates, N. Repanich (2017), A Laser-Based Optical Sensor for Broad-Band Measurements of Building Earthquake Drift, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 22, No.4, pages 1573-1598.
- H. Johansen, A. Rodgers, A. Petersson, D. McCallen, B. Sjogreen, M. Miah, (2017), Toward Exascale Earthquake Ground Motion Simulations for Near-Fault Engineering Analysis, Computing in Science and Engineering, IEEE, Vol. 19, No. 5.
- F. Petrone, J. Wong, D. McCallen, F. McKenna (2017), Implementation Verification and Validation of 3D Structural Elements in a Numerical Tool for Nonlinear SSI Seismic Analysis, Proceedings ASCE Computing in Civil Engineering 2017, Seattle Washington, pages 315-322.
- J. Abell, N. .Orbovic, D. McCallen, B. Jeremic (2017), Earthquake Soil-Structure Interaction of Nuclear Power Plants, Differences in Response to 3-D, 3x1-D, and 1-D Excitations, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 47, pages 1478-1495.
- F. Petrone, J. Wong, D. McCallen, F. McKenna (2016), Development of Advanced Numerical Tools for the Nonlinear Seismic Analysis of Nuclear Systems, Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, Vol. 115, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- D. McCallen, S Larsen (2009), High Performance Simulations for Transformational Earthquake Risk Assessments, Invited plenary session presentation, Journal of Physics: Conference Series 180, Paper No. 01261, IOP Publishing.
- D. McCallen, A. Astaneh-Asl, S. Larsen, L. Hutchings (2009), The Response of Long-Span Bridges to Near-Fault Earthquake Ground Motions, Proceedings of the ASCE Technical Conference on Life Line Earthquake Engineering, Oakland, California, June 2009.
- D. McCallen, K.M. Romstad (1994), Dynamic Analysis of a Skewed, Short-Span, Box Girder Overpass, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 4, No. 10, pages 729-755.