How to apply
We are currently seeking applications for the GAANN Fellowship program for students to enroll in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.
Minimum qualifications for GAANN fellows
- Fellows must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, applicants who have documentation from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services of intent to become permanent residents, or citizens of a Freely Associated State.
- Fellows must have demonstrated financial need, via evaluation of the FAFSA by the Office of Financial Aid. Applicants are encouraged to work with the Financial Aid Office to understand how financial need is determined.
- Fellows must qualify for admission to the Ph.D. program in Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Fellows must aspire to an academic career in research and teaching.
Women and minorities that are underrepresented in engineering are especially encouraged to apply.
Potential applicants will be pre-screened to determine if they will qualify for the program based on financial need and academic qualifications.
To be pre-screened for the GAANN Fellowship program, please complete the following steps.
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and enter the University of Nevada, Reno as the institution to receive your FAFSA information. Applicants wishing to be considered for Spring 2020 admission should use the 2019-2020 FAFSA form, while applicants wishing to be considered for Fall 2020 admission should use the 2020-2021 FAFSA form (available Oct. 1).
- Complete the pre-screening online form below. You will need to have the following materials available to complete the form:
- Transcripts for B.S. degree and M.S. degree (if applicable). Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of purpose: Outline your career goals. Include a description of adversity challenges you have faced and how you have overcome them, if applicable.
Please allow two weeks for your pre-screening application to be evaluated by the GAANN leadership team.
Application to the Graduate School
Following the pre-screening, potential applicants that qualify will be encouraged to formally apply to the Graduate School at the University of Nevada, Reno. The top GAANN applicants admitted to the graduate program will be invited to Gradventure – an expenses paid campus visit. The Gradventure program for Civil and Environmental Engineering is scheduled for Feb. 27-Mar. 1.
For questions about the GAANN program, please email Dr. Keri Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.