James M. Leonhardt
Assistant Professor of Marketing
- Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley
James M. Leonhardt is an Assistant Professor of Marketing in the College of Business at the University of Nevada, Reno. Dr. Leonhardt received his B.A. in Philosophy from the University of California, Berkeley and his Ph.D. in Management with a concentration in Marketing from the University of California, Irvine. At the University, Dr. Leonhardt teaches Integrated Marketing Communications and Digital Marketing. He's also active in undergraduate research and community outreach programs.
His research and teaching address how technology, information, and culture affect consumer and firm behavior in traditional and digital marketplaces. This work has been supported, in part, by fellowships from the Newkirk Center for Science and Society, the University of California Chancellors, and the Daniels Ethics Foundation Initiative. His research is regularly presented at conferences and has been published in academic journals such as the Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Advertising, Journal of Consumer Affairs, Journal of Services Marketing and Marketing Letters.
- Leonhardt, J. M. & Keller, L. R. (2018). Do pictographs affect probability comprehension and risk perception of multiple-risk communications? Journal of Consumer Affairs.
- Pezzuti, T., Pierce, M, & Leonhardt, J. M. (2018). Does language homophily affect migrant consumers' service usage intentions? Journal of Services Marketing.
- Niculescu, M., Leonhardt, J. M., Payne, C., & Barney, C. (2018). Dietary restraint affects hedonic and utilitarian value perceptions of low-calorie snacks. Journal of Consumer Affairs.
- Cruz, R., Leonhardt, J. M., & Pezzuti, T. (2017). Second-person pronouns enhance consumer involvement and brand attitude. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 39, 104-116.
- Leonhardt, J. M., Trafimow, D., & Niculescu, M. (2017). Selecting field experiment locations with archival data. Journal of Consumer Affairs. 51 (2), 448-462.
- Trafimow, D., Leonhardt, J. M., Niculescu, M., & Payne, C. (2016). A method for evaluating and selecting field experiment locations. Marketing Letters, 27, 437-447.
- Leonhardt, J. M., Catlin, J., & Pirouz, D. (2015). Is your product facing the ad's center? Facing direction affects processing fluency and evaluation. Journal of Advertising, 44(4), 315-325.
- Leonhardt, J. M., Keller, L. R., & Pechmann, C. (2011). Avoiding the risk of responsibility by seeking uncertainty: Responsibility aversion and preference for indirect agency when choosing for others. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 21(4), 405-413.