Mehmet Serkan Tosun
Barbara Smith Campbell Distinguished Professor of Nevada Tax Policy
Dr. Tosun is the Barbara Smith Campbell Distinguished Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is also a Professor of Economics and Chair of the Department of Economics. He is a research fellow at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in Bonn, Germany, an affiliate research fellow at the Oxford Institute of Population Ageing at the University of Oxford, and a research fellow at the Economic Research Forum (ERF) for Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey.
Dr. Tosun received his Ph.D. in Economics from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University. His research interests and expertise include public finance, economics of population and demographic change, international political economy, regional economics and economic growth. He has done consulting for a number of national and international agencies, including the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA), the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM), the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), and the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy. Dr. Tosun has received Dean's Research Professorship Award from the University of Nevada, Reno College of Business in 2013.
He was recognized as the Best Researcher of the Year in 2009 by the Nevada Alpha Chapter of Beta Gamma Sigma, an international honor society for business studies. He was the recipient of the Middle East Economic Association's Ibn Khaldun Prize in 2005. He was the local organizer of the 72nd Annual Congress of the International Institute of Public Finance (IIPF) which was held in Lake Tahoe in 2016, and the Anniversary Chair of the National Tax Association's 100th Anniversary Conference in 2007.
- Ph.D. in Economics, Maxwell School, Syracuse University, (1996 to 2001). Ph.D. awarded 6/29/2001.
- Dissertation Committee: Douglas J. Holtz-Eakin (Chair), Mary E. Lovely, Donald H. Dutkowsky, Gary V. Engelhardt, Stacy Dickert-Conlin Research Fields: Public economics, tax policy, economics of population and demography, international political economy, economic growth, regional economics
- M.A. in Economics, Boston University, Boston, MA, U.S.A., 1994
- B.A., in Economics, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, 1993
Recent Academic Publications
- Nichols, Mark W. and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2017. "The Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling on Crime." Regional Science and Urban Economics 66: 1-15. Also available as IZA Discussion Paper No. 7299.
- Pippin, Sonja E. and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2016. "Tax Harmonization in the European Union and the Euro-Zone: A Multilateral Analysis of Tax Systems." Public Sector Economics (previously Financial Theory and Practice) 40 (4): 437-461.
- Ouedraogo, Abdoulaye, Mehmet S. Tosun, and Serdar Yilmaz. 2016. "Cyclicality of Public Investment in Africa." International Journal of Public Policy 12 (3/4/5/6): 378-405.
- Nichols, Mark W., Mehmet S. Tosun, and Jingjing Yang. 2015. "The Fiscal Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling." Public Finance Review 43 (6): 739-761.
- Tosun, Mehmet S. 2015. "Retiree Migration and Intergenerational Conflict." IZA World of Labor 118 doi: 10.15185/izawol.118.
- Luitel, Hari and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2014. "A Reexamination of State Fiscal Health and Amnesty Enactment." International Tax and Public Finance 21 (5): 874-893.
- Pippin, Sonja and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2014. "Electronic Tax Filing in the United States: An Analysis of Possible Success factors." Electronic Journal of e-Government 12 (1): 22-38.
- Giertz, Seth and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2012. "Migration Elasticities, Fiscal Federalism, and the Ability of States to Redistribute Income." National Tax Journal 65 (4): 1069-1092. Symposium Issue.
- Tosun, Mehmet S., Claudia Williamson and Pavel Yakovlev. 2012. "Population Aging, Elderly Migration and Education Spending: Intergenerational Conflict Revisited," Public Budgeting and Finance 32 (2): 25-39.
- Pippin, Sonja, and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2012 "Political Economy of Taxing Services in the United States," Public Finance and Management 12 (1): 1-23.
- Skidmore, Mark and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2011. "Property Value Assessment Growth Limits, Tax Base Erosion, and Regional In-Migration," Public Finance Review 39 (2): 256-287.
- Hammond, George and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2011. "The Impact of Local Decentralization on Economic Growth: Evidence from U.S. Counties," Journal of Regional Science 51 (1): 47-64.
Professional or Policy Journal Publications
- Stowe, Stephen, Tom Gillaspy, Mehmet Tosun and Susan Rhodes. 2013. "Aging and Its Impact on Municipal Credit," (Fall). Municipal Finance Journal, 33 (3): 33-55.
- Tosun, Mehmet S., Glen Atkinson and Tom Harris. 2009. "Commuting, Competition and Leakages at the Carson City-Douglas County Border in Nevada," (Spring). Economic Development Journal, 8 (2): 48-54.
- Luitel, Hari and Mehmet S. Tosun. 2005. "West Virginia Tax Amnesty: An Evaluation of Costs and Benefits," (Summer). The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter, 22 (1): 2-9. (Refereed)
- Tosun, Mehmet S. 2002. "A Comparative Assessment of West Virginia's State Tax System," (Summer). The West Virginia Public Affairs Reporter, 19 (3): 2-7. (Refereed)
Recent Conference Presentations and Organized Sessions
- "Political Economy of Aging and Fiscal Policy." Tianjin Forum. Tianjin, China (July 8, 2017)
- "Demographic Changes and Fiscal Policy in MENA Countries." MENA Chief Economist Office Seminar Series. Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2017)
- "Cyclicality of Public Investment in Africa." The World Bank. Washington, D.C. (November 9, 2016)
- "Political Economy of Decentralization in Arab Countries." Presented at the BRISMES Annual Conference, London School of Economics, London, UK (June 25, 2015).
- "Decentralization and Perception of Public Service Delivery in Sierra Leone." The Urban Institute Center on International Development and Governance, Washington, D.C. February 10, 2015.
- "State and Local Sales Taxes and Business Activity in the United States," with Nicholas Saxon and Jingjing Yang. Presented at the 2015 International Institute of Public Finance Congress, Dublin. Ireland (August 21, 2015); NTA 107th Annual Conference on Taxation, Santa Fe, NM. (November 13, 2014).
- "Political Economy of Asymmetric Aging, Migration and Fiscal Policy," presented at 2015 European Society for Population Economics (ESPE) Conference, Izmir, Turkey (June 20, 2015), 2014 International Institute of Public Finance Congress, Lugano, Switzerland (August 20, 2014); Institute 11th IZA Annual Migration Meeting, Bonn, Germany (May 31, 2014); and Oxford Institute of Population Ageing Seminar, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (May 27, 2014).
- "Fiscal Decentralization and Local Borrowing in Turkish Provinces," with Dilek Uz and Serdar Yilmaz. Presented at the NTA 106th Annual Conference on Taxation, Tampa, FL. November 21, 2013.
- "The Fiscal and Economic Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling," with Mark Nichols. Presented at the NTA 106th Annual Conference on Taxation, Tampa, FL. November 23, 2013.
- "Political Economy of Decentralization in Arab Countries," presented at the ERF Workshop "Political Economy of Transformation in the ERF Region." Tunis, Tunisia, October 27, 2013.
- "Centralized Government Structure in the Middle East and North Africa Region from a Historical Perspective." Colonial Heritage in the Middle East and the Maghreb: the Shaping of Hopes and Perspectives, Mansfield College, Oxford, June 25, 2013.
- "Demographic Divide and Labor Migration in the Euro-Mediterranean Region." Bilgi University MENA Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, June 21, 2013.
- "Demographic Deficit, Transition and Migration in the Mediterranean Region: Political Economy and Fiscal Considerations." Keynote Speech at the Second Workshop on Economics of the Mediterranean and the Euromediterranean Process, organized jointly by the Center for Research on the Economies of the Mediterranean (CREMed), and the European Institute, London School of Economics. Barcelona, Spain, June 22, 2011.
- "Decentralization, Conflict and Essential Service Delivery: The Viable Options in the Middle East." United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA) Expert Group Meeting Governance and Conflict Relapse, Beirut, Lebanon, May 31, 2011.