Assistant Professor - Accounting
Office: Ansari Business 415B
- Ph.D., University of North Texas, 2017
- M.S., University of Houston - Clear Lake, 2011
Binod Guragai is an Assistant Professor of Accounting at the University of Nevada, Reno. His primary research area is archival/capital markets research in financial accounting and reporting. His current areas of research within financial accounting are informativeness of financial statements, earnings quality including earnings management and financial statement restatements, and corporate governance. He has published peer-reviewed co-authored articles in Journal of Information Systems, Advances in Accounting, and Petroleum Accounting and Financial Management Journal. Professor Guragai's primary teaching interests include financial accounting and managerial/cost accounting.
Prior to joining the University of Nevada, Reno, he taught multiple sections of Principles of Financial Accounting, Principles of Managerial Accounting, and Intermediate Accounting I at University of North Texas as a teaching fellow. Professor Guragai is a member of the American Accounting Association.
- "Accounting Information Systems and Ethics Research: Review, Synthesis, and the Future," with Nicholas Hunt, Marc P. Neri, and Eileen Z. Taylor, Journal of Information Systems, In press.
- "Differences in Responses to Accounting-based and Market-based Benchmarks- Evidence from Nasdaq, Advances in Accounting, In press.
- "Mexico's Energy Reform - Opportunities and Challenges for Foreign Investors," Petroleum Accounting and Financial Management Journal 35 (1): 66-80 (2016).
Honors and Awards
- AAA/Deloitte/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium Representative, Dallas, TX (2016).
- John Jolly Fellowship, Institute of Petroleum Accounting, University of North Texas (2015).
- Department of Accounting Outstanding Doctoral Student, University of North Texas (2015).
- Doctoral Research Scholarship, University of North Texas (2014, 2015).
- Nepal Vidhya Bhushan ‘Ga', Awarded by the President of Nepal (2007).