At a Glance
Department Chair:Ron Lembke
Department Admin Assistant:Belen Aguilar
Marketing Faculty Undergraduate Advisors:
- Jean Jeon
(student last names: A-F)
- R. Bret Leary
(student last names: G-K)
- Igor Makienko
(student last names: L-R)
- Jae-Eun Namkoong
(student last names: S-Z)
Marketing is a dynamic, exciting and critical component of business. At its core, marketing is the creation, communication and exchange of value for stakeholders, including society at large. Marketing is the "outward-facing" business discipline that builds and manages relationships with customers, suppliers and partners.
A marketing degree offers a variety of career opportunities in fields such as product development, sales, public relations, advertising, digital marketing, brand management, retailing, supply chain and logistics, business analytics and entrepreneurship.
Marketing students gain exposure to marketing theory and application through core and elective courses taught by a student-focused faculty engaged in cutting-edge marketing research and practice.
The program is also home to the American Marketing Association Collegiate Chapter (AMA Club). The AMA Club provides career resources, experiential learning, and leadership opportunities through participation in AMA competitions, networking, recruiting, fund-raising and other chapter events. For more information, contact AMA Advisor, Igor Makienko.
Marketing Department News
- The Marketing Area welcomes Assistant Professor Jessica Rixom to its faculty!
- Assistant Professor Thomas Burnham and Associate Professor Igor Makienko published their paper "Factors Affecting Exam Completion Speed, Exam Performance, and Nonexam Performance," in the Journal of Marketing Education.
- Undergraduate student Brendan Burke presented his community-based project "Using Craigslist to Attract Advanced Manufacturing Workers to the Reno-Tahoe Area" at the Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Assistant Professor James Leonhardt published his paper "Second-Person Pronouns Enhance Consumer Involvement and Brand Attitude" in the Journal of Interactive Marketing.
- Assistant Professor Bret Leary published his paper "Leading the Way: Motivating Environmental Action Through Perceived Marketplace Influence" in the Journal of Business Research.
- Assistant Professor Jae-Eun Namkoong published her article "Wanting a Bird's Eye to Understand Why" in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.