At a Glance
Department Chair:Mehmet Tosun
- Minor in Economics
- Minor in Economic Policy
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Economics
- Master of Arts in Economics
- Master of Science in Economics
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Economics
The mission of the Department of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno is to provide high quality education through our degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, undertake cutting-edge economics research, and assist public and private decision makers in practical ways. Consistent with our university's land-grant mission, we serve as a resource to the community through applied scholarship, outreach programs, and economic development. Examples include the University Center for Economic Development, University of Nevada Cooperative Extension, the Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station, Ozmen Center for Entrepreneurship, and the Institute for the Study of Gambling and Commercial Gaming.
The Department of Economics at the University of Nevada, Reno is an “idea place,” and seeks to become an increasingly creative and valuable resource as it conducts teaching, research, and service activities.
Through basic and applied research, the department’s faculty members create and develop ideas that push the frontier of knowledge and assist public and private decision makers in practical ways. Through service to the community and the economics profession, the Department seeks to be a “go-to place” for creative and practical ideas.
Current students are encouraged to get regular advising, participate in the Economics club to become more connected with the faculty and other students, and to learn more about the variety of doors further opened with economics training.
Economics Department News
- Check out the outstanding rankings recently received by the Economics department.
- University Center for Economic Development (UCED), in our department, received another round of funding from the Economic Development Administration (EDA).
- Professor Anna Sokolova joined our department as Assistant Professor in July. She specializes in macroeconomics.
- Professor Dilek Uz started her new position in our department as Assistant Professor in July. She specializes in energy economics.
- Professor Jingjing Yang published her paper "A Fixed-bandwidth View of the Pre-asymptotic Inference for Kernel Smoothing with Time Series Data," in Journal of Econometrics, which is the top field journal in econometrics, and one of the highest ranked journals overall.
- Professor Frank Fossen joined the Editorial Review Board of Small Business Economics: An Entrepreneurship Journal, which is the top field journal in entrepreneurship research. He is the Charles N. Mathewson Professor in Entrepreneurship.
- Professor Anna Sokolova published her paper "Habit Formation in Consumption: A Meta-analysis," in the European Economic Review.
- Professors Sankar Mukhopadhyay, Todd Sorensen, and Mehmet Tosun joined the Global Labor Organization (GLO) as GLO Fellows.
- Professor Frank Fossen published his paper "Stated and Revealed Heterogeneous Risk Preferences in Educational Choice," in the European Economic Review.
- Professor Todd Sorensen published his paper "Inter-firm Mobility and Return Migration Patterns of Skilled Guest Workers," in Journal of Population Economics.
- Professor Emeritus Thomas Cargill published his new book The Financial System, Financial Regulation and Central Bank Policy, which is available through Cambridge University Press.
- Professors Mark Nichols and Mehmet Tosun published their paper "The Impact of Legalized Casino Gambling on Crime," in Regional Science and Urban Economics.