How to Join the Concert Bands

band student playing trumpet

Auditioning for the Nevada Wind Ensemble and Concert Winds is a simple process, designed for both music majors, and people of all majors to particpate. Regardless of your skill level, we have a place for you to play music!

1 - Apply for admission to the University of Nevada, Reno.

  • For incoming University of Nevada Students: Applications for all majors can be accessed through the "Apply Now" tab on the right side of this page (music majors must take a few additional steps).
  • For non-University of Nevada Students: If you attend community college, or ar not enrolled at the University, it's still possible for you to participate in the Wind Ensemble and Concert Winds! Simply follow the steps for non-degree students at the "Apply Now" tab on the right side of this page. Contact Dr. Reed Chamberlin if you have questions.

2 - Audition.
Members of the Wind Ensemble and Concert Winds must complete an audition. Auditions for fall semester are held the first two days of the semester, auditions for spring semester are held in November each year. 

  • Music majors/minors, and non-music majors auditioing for Wind Ensemble and Orchestra are required to play all of the requested excerpts. 
  • Non-music majors auditioning for Concert Winds are required to play only one of the requested excerpts, an easy low stress process. 

Audition excerpts, times and locations will be posted to August 1st (for fall) and November 15 (for spring). 

3 - Register for Class.

After results are posted, register for your assigned ensemble before the first Friday of the semester. Wind Ensemble is labeled MUSE 114 (lower division), MUSE 414 (upper division), or MUSE 614 (graduate division); Concert Winds is labeled MUSE 112 (lower division), MUSE 412 (upper division), or MUSE 612 (graduate division).