Vimeo Viewer Recommendations for Livestreamed Events and Videos
We want you to sit back, relax and enjoy the show!
Below are some recommendations to help you have the best possible viewing experience for School of the Arts livestreamed events and videos on the Vimeo platform.
- In general, it will be helpful to make sure your device (whether it is a smart phone, desktop or laptop computer, tablet, etc.) is running the most up-to-date versions of its operating system and web browsers.
- Internet download speed is also a key element to the streaming experience. There are free, online resources to check your internet connection speed included in the internet connection requirements section below.
- If you would like to do a test to see if your device plays videos through Vimeo smoothly, feel free to view the Performing Arts Series Season Announcement video.
Visit the Vimeo helpdesk
We recommend using the latest version of one of the following browsers:
- Chrome (has automatic updates)
- Firefox (has automatic updates)
- Internet Explorer 11
Using the latest browser version helps to ensure the best playback experience. Due to security vulnerabilities, Vimeo no longer supports Flash. If you are using an older browser or system you may need to upgrade to continue watching Vimeo videos.
Viewing on a computer or laptop
The Vimeo player operates in a wide range of operating systems. We recommend using:
- Windows 7 or later
- MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) or later
Viewing on a mobile device or tablet
We recommend using:
- Android (Marshmallow) version 6.0+
- iOS version 12.4+
Viewing on a smart TV
Generally, livestreamed events are not able to stream through a TV app. However, some livestreamed events may be enabled to stream though Roku and Fire TV by the event organizer. If you have one of these apps, contact the event organizer to see if this has been enabled.
Additionally, events that are not livestreamed but are made “live” for limited amounts of time, may be viewable through a Smart TV App. The following platforms and devices are recommended:
- Apple TV (4th generation devices and higher)
- Android TV version 5.0+
- Roku (2nd generation streaming devices and higher)
- Amazon Fire TV devices
- Samsung TVs (2015-2018 Tizen-powered devices)
- Chromecast (via our iOS and Android mobile apps, see below for requirements)
Internet connection requirements
The quality of your live playback experience is largely dependent on the download speed you have from your internet service provider. Keep in mind that your overall internet speed can vary depending on many factors, including: time of day, Wi-Fi performance, other devices/users utilizing your connection and the strength of the signal sent by your provider. Vimeo recommends the following for optimal viewing experience:
- Minimumdownload speeds of 500 kbps or faster*
- Dedicated internet line of 5 mbps or faster
- If using WiFi, be sure that your router is configured correctly and that your network is not being shared with other devices (For the very best viewing experience, Vimeo recommends a hardwired connection via ethernet).
*Not sure what your internet connection speed is? Check your speed to determine. We recommend performing this test a few times since bandwidth can change.