Veterinary Science Student Info
During the last year of the pre-professional program, Nevada residents may apply through a resident contract program to Colorado State University (CSU), Washington State University (WSU) and Oregon State University (OSU). The contract program for state residents is administered by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). The State of Nevada has contracts with these schools to pay for 75% of the non-resident tuition fee. The student is responsible for 25% of the non-resident tuition and an in-state tuition fee. A student must be a one year resident of Nevada by October 15 of the year in which he or she applies in order to receive support from the State. Students participating in this contract program must return to Nevada after graduation from the professional school for four (4) years (one year for each year of support). Students are not limited to apply to only the WICHE contract schools. Many are accepted into other professional schools throughout the United States.
Acceptance into a school of veterinary medicine is based on the following criteria:
- Grade point average (GPA)
- Score on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Veterinary College Admission Test (VCAT)
- Letters of recommendation
- Community activity and leadership roles
- Personal interview (occasionally)
- Work experience (especially with a veterinarian). Students are encouraged to obtain a minimum of 500 hours of practical experience working with a veterinarian prior to application.
Each veterinary school has its own unique pre-veterinary requirements. It is the student's responsibility to contact each school of interest for the latest pre-veterinary requirements.