ANVS Advising

Need Academic and Career Advice?

Getting your questions answered in a timely manner is important to us.  As a student in the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources, you have many resources available to you.  Please use these guidelines to determine who best to contact.

Starting in the Fall 2018, the CABNR Student Center will provide academic advising for all undergraduate students in the Department of Agriculture, Nutrition and Veterinary Sciences.  This includes students in agricultural science, nutrition (dietetics and nutritional science), rangeland ecology and management, and veterinary science.   Major-specific faculty will continue to provide guidance and advising for career planning.    

To schedule an appointment with the CABNR Student Center:  (775) 784-1634  or 
Please include your first and last name, NSHI ID and days and times that you can meet. 

The professional advisors at the CABNR Student Center have the experience and knowledge to answer questions such as…

  1. What classes are required for a specific major and/or minor? (Please see the links below to the major and minor programs offered by ANVS.)
  2. Can I get some help using the tools in MyNevada (e.g., Academic Planner)?
  3. What classes should I take next semester?
  4. Can you release an advising hold for me in MyNevada?
  5. I have lots of transfer credits. How are they being counted toward my degree?
  6. I need to drop a class.  How will this impact my graduation timeline?
  7. Can you help me file an appeal for the excess credit fee charges?
  8. I don’t have a prerequisite for a required course. What are my options?
  9. I have a time conflict with a required course.  What are my options?
  10. Am I on track to graduate?

Please see the academic faculty listed below for your major If you have questions such as…

  1. What can I do with my degree?
  2. What are employers looking for in graduates with my degree?
  3. What is the employment outlook for graduates with my degree?
    (Range students – see
  4. How can I enhance the likelihood of being successful in obtaining an internship related to my major?
    (Dietetic students - see
  5. Should I consider post-graduate education? How will my degree prepare me for graduate school?

Agricultural Science
Ms. Tracy Shane,, 775-682-7047
Dr. Melinda Yerka,, 775-784-6442
Dr. Felipe Barrio Masias,, 775-682-7026
Dr. Juan Soloman,, 775-784-6888

Nutrition Major or Nutrition Minor
Dr. Jamie Benedict,, 775-784-6445
Ms. Karon Felten,, 775-784-6446
Dr. Bradley Ferguson,, 775-784-6278
Dr. Stan Omaye,, 775-784-6447
Ms. Jolyn Wirshing,, 775-784-6617

Veterinary Science
Dr. Mike Teglas,, 775-784-1002
Dr. Mozart Fonseca,, 775-784-1002
Dr. Amilton deMello,, 775-784-6648
Dr. Bruna Alves,, 775-784-1314

Rangeland Ecology & Management
Dr. Tamzen Stringham,, 775-784-6755
Dr. Barry Perryman,, 775-784-1265
Dr. Sherm Swanson,, 775-784-4057
Ms. Tracy Shane,, 775-682-7047