PhD, University of South Carolina
Ansari Business Building, Room 501
Office Hours Fall 2019: Mondays/Wednesdays 11:00-12:00pm Tuesdays/Thursdays1:30-2:30pm
biological anthropology, bioarchaeology, paleoepidemiology, paleopathology, social determinants of
health, intersectionality, developmental origins of health and disease (DOHaD), famine
My research explores the ways that human skeletal data can inform our understanding of life in the past. I am particularly interested in examining how social and biological factors influence risk of death and how these factors can often impact patterns of disease and mortality in complex ways (intersectionality theory). My work also emphasizes the many bioarchaeological applications of the developmental origins of health and disease (DOHaD) hypothesis, which posits that early life experiences can affect health in later life. I am a member of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists, the Paleopathology Association, the Dental Anthropology Association, and the American Anthropological Association.
ANTH 102 (Introduction to Physical Anthropology)
ANTH 222 (Introduction to Forensic Anthropology)
ANTH 468 (Forensic Anthropology)
ANTH 462/662 (Human Osteology)
ANTH 467/667 (Paleopathology)
ANTH 476/676 (Human Variation)
Book Chapters (Edited Volume)
- In Press DeWitte SN, Yaussy SL. Bioarchaeological Applications of Intersectionality. In C Cheverko, M Hubbe, & J Prince-Buitenhuys (Eds.), Bioarchaeological Theory.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- In Press DeWitte SN, Yaussy SL. Brief communication: Sex Differences in Medieval Famine Mortality. American Journal of Physical Anthropology.
- 2019 Yaussy SL. The Intersections of Industrialization: Variation in Skeletal Indicators of Frailty by Age, Sex, and Socioeconomic Status in 18th- and 19th-century England. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 170(1): 116-130.
- 2019 Yaussy SL, DeWitte SN. Calculus and Survivorship in Medieval London: The Association between Dental Disease and a Demographic Measure of General Health. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 168(3): 552-565.
- 2018 Yaussy SL, DeWitte SN. Patterns of Frailty in Non-adults from Medieval London. International Journal of Paleopathology 22: 1-7.
- 2017 DeWitte SN, Yaussy SL. Femur Length and Famine Mortality in Medieval London. Bioarchaeology International 1(3-4): 171-182.
- 2016 Yaussy SL, DeWitte SN, Redfern R. Frailty and Famine: Patterns of Mortality and Physiological Stress among Victims of Famine in Medieval London. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 160(2): 272-283.