Donald L. Hardesty
Professor Emeritus, Anthropology
Ph.D. University of Oregon
Ansari Business, Room 501A
Historical archaeology, industrial archaeology, historic preservation, archaeological theory and method, ecological anthropology, western U.S.
- Archaeology of colonization and the evolution of transportation and communication networks
- Archaeology of the mining industry in the American West
- Archaeology of cultural identity
- Landscape archaeology
- Archaeology of Ancient New World Civilizations
- Archaeological Methods
- Field Methods in Archaeology
- Historical Archaeology
- Industrial Archaeology
- Principles of Historic Preservation
- World Architecture
- In Press Mining Archaeology in the American West: A View from the Silver State. University of Nebraska Press.
- 2009 Assessing Site Significance: A Guide for Archaeologists and Historians, Second Edition (with Barbara Little). AltaMira Press.
- 2007 "Perspectives on Global-Change Archaeology." American Anthropologist 109 (1): 1-7.
- 2004 "Archaeology and the Chinese Experience in Nevada." In Ethnic Oasis: The Chinese in the Black Hills, by Liping Zhu and Rose Estep Fosha, pp. 69-85. South Dakota Historical Society Press, Pierre, South Dakota.
- 2003 "Safety and the Ethics of Archaeological Fieldwork." In Ethical Issues in Archaeology, edited by Larry Zimmerman, Julie Zimmer, and Karen Vitelli, pp. 201-212. AltaMira Press.
- 2003 "Mining Rushes and Landscape Learning in the Modern World." In Colonization of Unfamiliar Landscapes: The Archaeology of Adaptation, edited by Marcy Rockman and James Steele, pp. 81-95. Routledge Press, London.
- 2001 "Archaeology and Environmental Change" (with Don D. Fowler). In New Directions in Anthropology and Environment, edited by Carole Crumley, pp. 72-89. AltaMira Press.
- 2000 "Speaking in Tongues: the Multiple Voices of Fieldwork in Industrial Archaeology." IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archaeology 26 (2): 43-47.
- 2001 "Issues in Preserving Toxic Wastes as Heritage Site," The Public Historian 23 (2): 19-28.
- 2000 "Ethnographic Landscapes: Transforming Nature into Culture." In Preserving Cultural Landscapes in America, edited by Arnold R. Alanen and Robert Z. Melnick, pp. 169-185. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore.
- 1999 "Archaeological Models of the Modern World in the Great Basin: World Systems and Beyond." In Current Models in Great Basin Anthropology, edited by Charlotte Beck, pp. 213-219. University of Utah Press.
- 1998 "Power and the Industrial Mining Community in the American West." In Social Approaches to an Industrial Past: The Archaeology and Anthropology of Mining, edited by A. Bernard Knapp, Vincent C. Pigott, and Eugenia W. Herbert, pp. 81-96. Routledge Press, London.
- 1997 Archaeology of the Donner Party, University of Nevada Press, Reno, Nevada.
- 1998 "Gender and Archaeology on the Comstock." In Women on the Comstock Lode, edited by Elizabeth Raymond and Ronald James, pp. 283-302. University of Nevada Press
- 1994 Class, Gender Strategies, and Material Culture in the Mining West. In Those of Little Note: Gender, Race, and Class in Historical Archaeology, edited by Elizabeth Scott, pp. 129-145. University of Arizona Press.
- 1992 The Miner's Domestic Household: Perspectives from the American West, In Sozialgeschichte des Bergbau im 19. und 20. Jahrundert (Toward a Social History of Mining in the 19th and 20th Centuries), edited by Klaus Tenfelde, pp. 180-196. Verlag C.H. Beck, Munchen, Germany.