Join us for the annual march from the Reno arch to the University of Nevada Quad! This year marks the fifth year of this Nevada tradition, and we encourage you to go above and beyond this year, and make your floats or vehicles eye catching for thousands of alumni, students and community members.
To include your float or vehicle in the March from the Arch parade, register here. Parade entries are free to community members and businesses.
March from the Arch
Saturday, October 14, 2017
Start: At the Reno Arch, Downtown
End: The University of Nevada Quad
1. Check in will begin at 6:30 pm October 14. All entries must be checked in by 7:30 pm. Any entry not checked in at this time will not participate in the parade. Floats and participants must check in and be present at the staging area, located on Virginia Street near the Courthouse parking lot.
2. Only one representative from each group will register their entry.
3. All entries will be inspected by University Officials and the Reno Police Department.
4. Route: The parade will commence at 8 pm. The Reno Police Department will escort all participants from the Washoe County Courthouse to the parade route. The parade will begin on Virginia Street at 2nd Street and conclude at Virginia Street at 9th St. UNRPD will then escort the floats right on 9th Street to the tan lot parking area near Peccole Park. All marchers will continue walking to the Quad of the University of Nevada, Reno.
5. Floats that fail to comply with any federal, state, and local laws, or are in any way offensive in nature will be dismissed from the parade by Police and will be disqualified from the homecoming competition (if applicable).
6. No alcohol or drugs are to be present or consumed at any time. Anyone violating the alcohol policy, displaying unsportsmanlike conduct or any other disruptive or inappropriate behavior will be turned over to the Police and/or the Office of Student Conduct.
7. In compliance with the City of Reno policies, nothing shall be thrown, sprayed or discarded along the parade route (includes candy, rice, glitter, etc.). This for the safety of the spectators.
8. This is a forward moving parade and there will be no stopping on the parade route, unless the City of Reno or the Police Department stops your vehicle. Participants may perform but must continue moving forward along the route.
9. Entries with sound amplification must maintain a reasonable volume so as not to interfere with units ahead or behind.
10. All participants are responsible for removing all parade float equipment, truck/trailer, decorations, and any other items from the staging area, parade route, and at the final staging area. Items MUST be removed by Sunday, October 15 at 10:00 pm.
11. The University of Nevada, Reno and the City of Reno are not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items used in this event.
1. Each Float must be identifiable (i.e. banner, sign, etc.) for the organization.
2. The driver must be 18 years or older.
3. All vehicles must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles and insured.
4. A 5 lb. ABC (min 2A/10BC rating) fire extinguisher must be present during inspection and the remainder of the parade.
5. Generators must be uncovered in an unenclosed space and away from any combustibles.
6. Safety Chains are affixed to the float at all times.
7. Passengers on the float should be in a secure location (i.e. railing, etc.). Participants will not be permitted to get on or off the float once the parade begins.
8. No open flames are permitted.
9. Pyrotechnics are not permitted without the approval from University Officials and the City of Reno.
10. Drivers shall have 180 degree forward vision.
11. Distance between parade units is to be maintained at 30 feet.
12. Each float may have a maximum of 10 riders that will stay on the float for the entirety of the march. There will be absolutely no team members walking with or next to the moving float.
13. Floats must be short enough to fit under the Reno Arch. Failure to fit under the Arch can result in penalization and it is the team's duty to ensure that their float will fit under the Arch.