1,401: Out-of-State Travel

Revised: March 2017

Out-of-State Approval

An "Employee's Travel Request" form must be completed and approved for any university business-related out-of-state travel lasting more than 24 hours, including travel with no cost to the university. Refer to section 1,406 for travel advance procedures.

An "Employee's Travel Request" form must be approved by the appropriate vice president, dean, or director of intercollegiate athletics, or designee, prior to an out-of-state trip, except as noted below. Departments are responsible for verifying and maintaining availability of funds for approved travel expenses. 

Any delegation of approval authority for out-of-state travel must be in writing, updated every time a change in that delegation occurs, approved by the President or Executive Vice President & Provost. Copies of the delegation must be distributed to the Controller's Office.

Upon approval, the "Employee's Travel Request" form should be sent to the Controller's Office prior to the trip date.

For trips lasting 24 hours or less it is not necessary to file an "Employee's Travel Request" form with the Controller's Office. It is necessary, however, to obtain prior approval of the department head and dean, director, or vice president.

Out-of-State Allowable Travel Expenses

Persons on out-of-state travel status shall receive meals at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) per diem rate listed for that locality regardless of actual cost and only when the meals are not covered by event fees. Receipts are not required for meals.

Employees shall receive reimbursement for personal lodging expense based on the federal GSA lodging per diem rate for that locality. A receipt will be required for all out-of-state lodging reimbursement. All GSA lodging amounts exclude taxes.

When registration fees provide for a meal, employees should not request additional reimbursement for the meal. When a meal is provided at an event and is listed as an optional item on the registration form at a cost exceeding the state reimbursement rate, the excess amount will not be allowed as part of the registration fee. The employee is personally responsible to pay the excess amount.

For conference registration fees that are all inclusive, documentation must be submitted that indicates the portion of the fee that is for registration and the portion that is for meals and lodging.

Exceptions to the maximum out-of-state lodging rates must be approved in advance on the "Employee's Travel Request" form by the individual authorized to approve such travel. Approval of out-of-state lodging rates in excess of currently authorized rates must be obtained on the "Employee's Travel Request" form prior to the trip from the individual authorized to approve such travel. For GSA surveyed areas, exceptions may be made for up to 175% of the federal rate for each specific destination. For GSA non-surveyed areas, exceptions may be made for up to 300% of the federal rate for each specific destination.

Individuals in out-of-state travel status may claim per diem meal reimbursements for the following time frames:

  • Breakfast: 12:01 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
  • Lunch: 10:01 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  • Dinner: 3:01 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.

Breakfast per diem will not be reimbursed for travelers who depart their home city after 9:00 a.m. Dinner per diem will not be reimbursed for travelers who return to their home city before 5:00 p.m.

When employees receive free meals or lodging, no reimbursement is allowed.

Reimbursement for employee travel claims will not be paid if the claim totals less than $10. Employees may submit multiple trips together so they total more than the minimum reimbursable amount.