2,540: Payment and/or Reimbursement of Moving Expenses

Revised: September 2017

If an employee is hired into a continuing position and moved from a location which is at least 50 miles from the new location, institutional funds may be used to pay for or reimburse the employee for certain specified moving expenses (pursuant to the State Administrative Manual, sections 0238.0-0252.0)  http://budget.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/budgetnvgov/content/Governance/SAM.pdf

  1. Relocation travel for the employee and immediate family members: Travel expenses may be claimed for a one-way, economy class (or equivalent) airplane ticket; or reimbursement for use of a private automobile for one-way direct travel by the employee and/or spouse using the per diem, subsistence, and mileage allowances detailed in state travel regulations.
  2. Moving of household goods: Expenses may be claimed for moving up to 18,000 pounds of household goods in accordance with this policy. Office and professional materials deemed essential to the successful performance of the employee are not counted against the household goods limit.

The expenditure of institutional funds (state and non-state) must not exceed the costs, permitted by state travel and moving regulations, incurred by the employee. The amount of state funds expended for a given employee cannot exceed 1/12 of the average university academic faculty salary ("B" contract base) as reported to the AAUP in the previous academic year (the amount is updated every July 1; $7,498 for FY 2017-2018; $7,610 for FY 2018-2019).

If a unit wishes to reimburse a newly hired employee for those expenses, it must forward a request to the respective vice president through the appropriate administrative channels (i.e., chair, dean and/or director). A "Request for Moving Expenses Reimbursement" form is available. The request must identify the position by number and title/rank. It must indicate the amount requested and the source of the funds to be used.

The only moving expenses that may be paid in advance are expenses paid directly to a moving company on behalf of the employee using the requisition/purchase order process through the Purchasing Department or through use of a university purchasing card, in accordance with limits outlined in UAM Section 1,507: Basic Purchasing Procedure. A "Request for Payment" (with original itemized receipts attached) may also be used to directly reimburse the employee for the authorized moving expense. A copy of the approved "Request for Moving Expenses Reimbursement" must be attached to the requisition, purchasing card "statement of account," or to the "Request for Payment."

Note: As the payment or reimbursement of these expenses may create a tax liability, the advice and assistance of a tax attorney or other tax professional should be obtained by the employee.Allowance for Moving Household Goods by Common Carrier

Allowances for moving household goods by common carrier are as follows:

1. Up to 18,000 pounds of household goods.
2. Up to sixty days storage in transit. Storage may be paid at point of origin; destination point or both but shall not exceed a total of sixty days.
3. The employee may secure and be reimbursed for transit insurance up to a maximum of $75,000 coverage on such household goods.
4. The reimbursement rate for packing materials and labor will be the actual cost for the household up to the maximum of $750.00
5. Reimbursement may not be claimed on the following items: animals, excessive hobby material and equipment, automobiles, boats, airplanes, camping vehicles and mobile homes which are not the primary residence of the employees, explosives and other dangerous goods, foodstuffs subject to spoilage, building materials, fuel or similar non-household articles and goods not the property of the employee.

Allowance for Moving Household Goods by Rental Truck or Trailer

An employee may elect to move his household goods in a rental truck or trailer:

1. The maximum allowable moving costs using rental equipment may not exceed the cost of moving 18,000 pounds of household goods by common carrier plus the maximum rate for packing material and labor. These costs must be compared between the same origin and destination.
2. A mileage allowance for towing a trailer by personal automobile may be paid at the rate of established for use of a private vehicle at the university's convenience.

Allowance for Moving Mobile Home

1. Allowable mobile home moving expenses may not exceed the cost of moving 18,000 pounds of household goods by common carrier plus the maximum rate for packing material and labor. These costs must be compared between the same origin and destination. Two extra days of per diem will be allowed if the employee moves the mobile home him/herself.
2. Allowable moving costs may include a combination of costs resulting from moving household goods by common or other carrier and moving the mobile home by a professional mover. Items excluded for allowable costs are: wrecker services necessary to place the unit in position for over-the-road movement, and tire failure. Temporary carriage or the installation of a removable undercarriage and any costs incurred to bring the mobile home up to safety requirements for over-the-road movement.