Math and English Placement at the University of Nevada, Reno

For math placement cutoffs, visit the Math Center’s website.

For English placement cutoffs, visit the Class Placement website.

Every undergraduate degree at the University requires ENG 101, ENG 102, and MATH 120 or MATH 126. Your ACT and/or SAT scores are used to place you into the appropriate math and English class.

Did you place into the Math or English class you were hoping for? If not, Summer Freshman Start has options to help you.

• Take your Math or English class, especially MATH 95, MATH 96 and/or ENG 98, early over the summer with Summer Freshman Start! Upon successful completion, you can take the next Math and/or English class in the fall and stay on track for graduation.
  • Take the Accuplacer test to determine placement into math courses. Sign up and attend the FREE Summer Session Math Tutoring for Accuplacer Success Series and Summer Session will pay for your Accuplacer fee! (More information below.)
  • Submit a writing portfolio to the University’s Core Writing office to determine placement into an English course. Sign up and attend one of the FREE Summer Session Writing Portfolio Workshops to fine-tune your portfolio submission! (More information below.)

Free Math Tutoring for Accuplacer Success Series

Do you know your Math class placement based on your ACT/SAT scores? Want to place into a higher math class? Take advantage of FREE math tutoring during Summer Session as part of the Math Tutoring for Accuplacer Success Series, and we’ll also pay for your Accuplacer exam!

• Prepare for the Accuplacer with flexible drop-in tutoring hours from June 17–August 16, 2019 (dates and times are tentative).
    • Monday, 9–11 a.m. and 5–7 p.m.
    • Tuesday, 1–3 p.m.
    • Wednesday, 9–11 a.m.
    • Thursday, 1–3 p.m.
    • Friday, 9–11 a.m.
    • Sunday, 1–3 p.m.
  • Successfully testing into a higher math class with the Accuplacer means one less class you have to take—that saves you money, too!
  • Successfully testing out of MATH 95/96 in the summer means you can take CORE math in the fall.
  • Attend at least three Accuplacer tutoring sessions and then Summer Session will pay for one Accuplacer test for you, if taken on or before August 18, 2019.
  • Come prepared! Bring a notebook, pen/pencil, and water/snack to every tutoring session. Your first two-hour session will include a pre-test, as well as an overview of expectations and tips and tricks.

**Please note: each student may only take the Accuplacer a total of three times, and cannot take the Accuplacer if they have taken or are currently taking a UNR math class.**

Location:
Tutoring Center, Pennington Student Achievement Center, Room 320

Please check back for more details and to sign up for the Summer Session 2019 Series!

Free Writing Portfolio Workshops

If you are interested in submitting a portfolio to the Core Writing Program in order to place into a higher English class, we can help you! Take advantage of a FREE Writing Portfolio Workshop designed by UNR’s Writing & Speaking Center (located in the Pennington Student Achievement Center, Suite 350).

• Attend one of the below workshops (dates and times are tentative) to get help revising and editing your existing essays:
    • In-person workshops at the Writing & Speaking Center
      • Monday and Wednesday, June 17 and 19, 10 a.m.–12 p.m.
      • Tuesday and Thursday, June 25 and 27, 1–3 p.m.
    • Online
      • Tuesday and Thursday, May 21 and 23, 3–5 p.m.
      • Login online at unr.mywconline.com for your synchronous online sessions
  • Place out of ENG 98 with your portfolio and start with a Core Writing class in the fall.
  • Strengthen your English writing skills, submit a great portfolio, and get into the English class you need.
  • Come prepared! You will need to bring your own essays with you—you will NOT be writing essays from scratch. The workshop will focus on improving essays you’ve already written. You should also bring a notebook, pens/pencils, and water/snacks with you.

**Please note: The Core Writing Program evaluates the portfolios and usually gets back to students with their results after about two weeks. There is a $35 fee to submit your portfolio.**

Please check back for more details and to sign up!