Summer Freshman Start

Questions?

Phone: (775) 784-4652
Email: 365@unr.edu

What is Summer Freshman Start?

Summer Freshman Start is an opportunity for incoming freshmen to complete degree requirements before the fall semester. Summer courses are offered in many subjects, including math, English and 100- or 200-level classes that satisfy core requirements needed for your degree. Taking classes in the summer allows you to get an early start on your education, while enjoying free outdoor events and the beauty of campus during the summer months.

Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award

A summer tuition award will be available to graduating high school seniors admitted to UNR for fall. Applicants must attend UNR in fall to be eligible for the award and must enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits to be considered.

Applying is easy! Applications will be available on the Freshman Start website beginning May 1 and funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply, enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits and then download the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award Application (after May 1) and submit to the Summer Session office.

Failure to earn 6 UNR credits during Summer Session, or failure to attend in fall, will result in the withdrawal of award money, in which students will be responsible for returning the funds to the Cashier’s office. Submitting the Tuition Award Request for Funding does not guarantee funding.

How do I enroll in Summer Session classes?

Before you can enroll in Summer Session classes, you must first be accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno for Fall.

Step 1: Accept Admission for Fall in your MyNEVADA account.

Step 2: Activate your account for Summer admission by filling out and submitting the supplemental form for summer registration found on MyNEVADA.

Step 3: Register for summer classes! Follow the tutorial found on MyNEVADA Help, or contact the 365 Learning Office at 365@unr.edu or 775-784-4652 if you need help.

Summer Events

Don’t miss out on any of our fun events this summer! These free events include movies, barbecues, watermelon concerts and more. Check out our events page for the next opportunity to visit campus and mingle with the university and local community!

2018 Freshman Start Survey Respondents

Here’s what students who participated in 2018 Summer Freshman Start had to say about the program:

“I really enjoyed Summer Freshman Start because it showed me what college is really like. I enjoyed all the services provided around campus and the activities that were set up for students!”

“The Summer Freshman Start program really helped me get ahead, so that I was one step ahead. If you receive the tuition award, take the opportunity to attend. The university is essentially paying for 2 classes, and the best part is that it’s not your whole summer.”

“I didn’t know what I was getting into, but I ended up loving Summer Freshman Start. It’s a good way to get started and to meet great people.”

“The Summer Freshman Start program allowed me to experience college for the first time in a relaxed manner and without the crowds of people on campus.”