Skip Site Navigation
365 Learning

Summer Freshman Start

Questions?

Phone: (775) 784-4652
Email: 365@unr.edu

Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award

A summer tuition award will be available to graduating high school seniors admitted to UNR for fall. Applicants must attend UNR in fall to be eligible for the award and must enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits to be considered.

Applying is easy! Applications will be available on the Freshman Start website beginning May 1 and funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply, enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits and then download the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award Application (after May 1) and submit to the Summer Session office.

Failure to earn 6 UNR credits during Summer Session, or failure to attend in fall, will result in the withdrawal of award money, in which students will be responsible for returning the funds to the Cashier’s office. Submitting the Tuition Award Request for Funding does not guarantee funding.

What is Summer Freshman Start?

Summer Freshman Start is an opportunity for incoming freshmen to complete degree requirements before the fall semester. Summer courses are offered in many subjects, including math, English and 100- or 200-level classes that satisfy core requirements needed for your degree. Taking classes in the summer allows you to get an early start on your education, while enjoying free outdoor events and the beauty of campus during the summer months.

Math and English Placement at the University of Nevada, Reno

For math placement cutoffs, visit the Math Center’s website.

For English placement cutoffs, visit the Core Writing Program’s website.

Every undergraduate degree at the University requires ENG 101, ENG 102, and MATH 120 or MATH 126. Your ACT and/or SAT scores are used to place you into the appropriate math and English class.

Did you place into MATH 95, MATH 96 or ENG 98? If so, Summer Freshman Start has options to help you succeed.

• Take MATH 95, MATH 96 and/or ENG 98 early over the summer! Upon successful completion, you can take MATH 120, 126 and/or ENG 101 in the fall and stay on track for graduation.
  • Take the Accuplacer test at the University’s Math Center to determine placement into math courses. Sign up and attend the FREE Summer Session Math Tutoring for Accuplacer Success Series and Summer Session will pay for your Accuplacer fee! (More information below.)
  • Submit a writing sample to the University’s Core Writing office to determine placement into English course.

Free Math Tutoring Series for Accuplacer Success

June 18–July 13, 2018

Did you place into MATH 95 or MATH 96 based on your ACT/SAT scores? Take advantage of FREE math tutoring during Summer Session as part of the Summer Session Accuplacer Success Tutoring Series, and we’ll also pay for your Accuplacer exam!

• Prepare for the Accuplacer with flexible drop-in tutoring hours.
  • A free parking permit (while supplies last), weekly giveaways, raffle entry for multiple visits, and an end-of-series pizza party!
  • Successfully testing out of MATH 95/96 with the Accuplacer means one less class you have to take—that saves you money, too!
  • Successfully testing out of MATH 95/96 in the summer means you can take CORE math in the fall.
  • Take the Accuplacer by July 13, 2018 and Summer Session will pay for your Accuplacer fee (up to three attempts, $10 each).

Location:
Tutoring Center, Pennington Student Achievement Center, Room 320

Drop-In Tutoring Hours:
Monday 9:00–11:00 a.m.
Monday 5:00–7:00 p.m.
Tuesday 1:00–3:00 p.m.
Wednesday 9:00–11:00 a.m.
Thursday 1:00–3:00 p.m.
Friday 9:00–11:00 a.m.
Sunday 1:00–3:00 p.m.

To sign up, please submit the Summer Freshman Start Math Tutoring form to the Summer Session Office.

How do I enroll in Summer Session classes?

Before you can enroll in Summer Session classes, you must first be accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno for Fall.

Step 1: Accept Admission for Fall in your MyNEVADA account.

Step 2: Activate your account for Summer admission by filling out the “Summer Session Questionnaire.” This form is located in your Student Center in MyNevada, under Supplemental Forms.

Step 3: Enroll in Summer Session! Follow the tutorial found on MyNEVADA Help, or contact the 365 Learning Office at 365@unr.edu or 775-784-4652 if you need help.

Summer Events

Don't miss out on any of our fun events this summer! These free events include Tuesday night movies, barbecues, watermelon concerts and more. Check out our events page for the next opportunity to visit campus and mingle with the university and local community!