Summer Freshman Start

Questions?

Phone: (775) 784-4652
Email: 365@unr.edu

What is Summer Freshman Start?

Summer Freshman Start is an opportunity for incoming UNR freshmen to come to campus early and take classes during the summer before their first fall semester begins. Summer courses are offered in many subjects, including math, English and 100- or 200-level classes that satisfy core requirements needed for your degree. Taking classes in the summer allows you to get an early start on your education, while enjoying free outdoor events and the beauty of campus during the summer months.

Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award

The summer tuition award is available to graduating high school seniors admitted to UNR for fall. Applicants must attend UNR in fall to be eligible for the award and must enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits to be considered.

Applying for the tution award is easy! Funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply, enroll in 6 UNR Summer Session credits and then download the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award Application and submit it to the Summer Session office. The application will be available on this website starting May 1.

Failure to earn 6 UNR credits during Summer Session, or failure to attend in fall, will result in the withdrawal of award money, in which students will be responsible for returning the funds to the Cashier’s office. Submitting the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award Application does not guarantee funding. Please note that incoming students with 30 or more college credits are not considered freshmen and are not eligible for the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award.

How do I enroll in Summer Session classes?

Before you can enroll in Summer Session classes, you must first be accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno for fall.

Step 1: Activate your MyNEVADA account at my.nevada.unr.edu and accept admission for fall.

Step 2: Submit the Summer Session Activation Form, located in MyNEVADA under Supplemental Forms to activate your account for summer registration.

Step 3: Register for summer classes in MyNEVADA by selecting the summer term and adding classes. Registration will begin in April. Contact the 365 Learning Office at 365@unr.edu or 775-784-4652 if you need help.

Summer Events

Don’t miss out on any of our fun events this summer! These free events include movies, barbecues, watermelon concerts and more. Check out our events page for the next opportunity to visit campus and mingle with the university and local community!

Summer Housing

For students who are taking class(es) at UNR during Summer Session and need on-campus housing, dorm rooms are available. Generally, incoming freshmen who sign up for summer housing are grouped together on the same floor of a resident hall. Residential Hall Summer Assistants (RAs) are available to help residents get to know one another and to encourage participation in summer activities. Students living in dorms during Second Summer Session who are also living in the dorms for the fall semester may sign up for uninterrupted housing during the gap between Summer Session ending and Nevada Fit or the fall semester beginning (additional charges apply). For more information, please contact the Residential Life, Housing & Food Service office.

2019 Freshman Start Survey Respondents

100% of Summer Freshman Start’s 2019 Exit Survey respondents recommend that incoming freshmen participate in the program. Here’s what some of them had to say about their experience:

“Summer Freshman Start was a great way to get ahead, adapt, and figure out college life on a smaller scale. I got to know my way around campus, which helped a lot going into the fall semester. It was an overall fantastic experience!!”

“Summer Freshman Start provided me with an opportunity to get ahead. I knocked out two classes and earned six credits before almost all of my other classmates even started class. Students who want to get ahead of the curve should seriously consider enrolling and applying for the tuition award that can cover the cost of the summer tuition if received.”

“As a first generation student, the Summer Freshman Start experience made me feel like I was meant to be a part of the Wolf Pack.”

“The Summer Freshman Start program really helped me transition into college life. The class sizes were much smaller than in the fall, which gave me more of an individualized approach to learning.”