The University Writing Center (UWC) supports:
- Writers at all levels
- Work at any stage of writing from development to completion
- Communications within and between disciplines/contexts
- Academic, professional, personal, community, and creative projects
- Written, visual, oral, digital, and mixed media 'texts'
What you should do:
Appointments are welcomed at any time; plan ahead as much as possible:
- Backtrack from deadlines to plan and time your work for the best possible outcome
- Decide when you will most need, want and be open to consultation
- Find a consultant whose expertise or interests best match your needs
- Click on "Make an appointment" (you will have to register the first time you visit)
- There are various schedules, including specialty schedules, available in the drop down menu:
- General Consultations:
- Mackay Science Rm 108 (Mon-Fri 9-4)
- Knowledge Center: Knowledge Nook (Sun-Thurs 4-9)
- @One (Sun-Thurs 6-8)
- Asynchronous (On-line consultations)
- Specialty Consultations:
- Bio 192 - Available to Bio 192 students and writing related to Bio 192
- Eng 098 - Available to Eng 098 students and writing related to Eng 098
- Asynchronous 098 - On-line consultations available to Eng 098 students and writing related to 098
- Graduate Student Schedule - Available to all graduate students
- CHS 211 - Available to all CHS 211 students and writing related to CHS 211
- General Consultations:
What to bring:
- Bring or have e-access to the assignment and/or project outline
- Be ready with questions, ideas, and/or concerns about the assignment
What to expect:
- Expect to work with your consultant
- Expect to choose a focus for your consultation
- Expect to contribute actively within the consultation
- Expect feedback, options, expertise, and support but do not expect changes to be made for you
- Expect to progress as a writer as well as with the specific piece of writing
- Expect to leave the consultation with options for continuing your work
Learn about our values, what to expect when seeing a writing consultant and employment with the Writing Center.
Our writing consultants are skilled writers with a diverse set of interests and backgrounds.
We have gathered a wealth of resources to help you in your writing.
The University Writing Center supports writing in specific fields, majors, and schools by providing an opportunity to work with tutors majoring in the same discipline.
The University Writing Center invites students pursuing grants, scholarships, and research awards to utilize our resources and writing support to maximize effectiveness of proposals.
The University Writing Center welcomes faculty of all disciplines to participate in writing workshops and retreats.