skip to main content

Game Day Traffic Reminder

The 2015 Nevada Wolf Pack football season kicks off Thursday, Sept. 3 at 7 p.m. With 20,000 fans heading to Mackay Stadium, traffic and parking congestion is expected Thursday afternoon.
Learn more about game-day traffic and parking around campus.


1) Which education benefit should I use, and how do I get started?
We cannot tell you which benefit to use, but you should do as much research as you can about your own benefit(s) so you have an idea of what to expect from the VA. Our office will explain your benefit in great detail and explain how some of our local university policies may affect you while you are attending. To get started, make an appointment with John, our Intake Coordinator, by calling (775) 682 - 5929 or email

2) I have already applied for benefits through the VONAPP, now what happens?
It takes about 6 to 8 weeks from the time you submit your application until the time you get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in the mail. We cannot process any claims on your behalf until we have all the documents we need. If you do not know what you need to submit, please refer to our "Forms and Checklist" page and select your chapter benefit. Our office cannot request your COE on your behalf, so if it has been longer than 8 weeks, we recommend you fax a written request to the VA at: (918) 781 - 7863. Please remember to include your SSN or VA File Number on your request too!

3) How much do I get paid, and when will I get it?
This depends what on chapter benefit you are using, so please refer to the VA's current pay rates page. Keep in mind we are not the VA. We can only provide estimates as to what the VA pays depending upon how many credits you are pursuing each semester and your rate of pursuit. Payments are typically deposited into your account on the last day of the month. If you have not submitted your Electronic Semester Enrollment Form (ESEF) to our office, or verified your attendance to the VA if you are using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607, you will not get paid until you do.

4) What is the Electronic Semester Enrollment Form, and how do I find it?
The Electronic Semester Enrollment Form (ESEF) is completed and submitted through your MyNevada account to initiate processing for your payments and stipends each semester you want to use your benefit. This is an electronic form found in MyNevada under, "Supplemental Forms," and appears 24 hours after you enroll in classes. If you are trying to certify classes for a previous semester, you will need to come to the Veteran Service's counter on the 2nd Floor of the Fitzgerald Student Services building and fill out a paper copy (you do not need to make an appointment to do this).

5) Why am I being told my classes can't be certified?
The VA will only allow certification for classes that are listed under your program of study, even pre-requisites. Academic advisor recommendations will not automatically allow classes to be certified.

6) I dropped a class, what should I do?
Our office will catch all additions and drops, so you do not need to tell us. However, if you feel more comfortable by letting us know, you can call John, our Intake Coordinator, at (775) 682 - 5929 or email Keep in mind if you changed your enrollment from full-time, to ¾ time, to ½ time, to ¼ time or any variation of this, your monthly stipend, tuition and fees could be affected and you could possibly have a debt with the VA. If you have any questions about this contact Chai, our Certifying Official, by calling (775) 682 - 5935 or email

7) I think I got underpaid or overpaid, what should I do?
Contact Chai, our Certifying Official, by calling (775) 682 - 5935 or email  Or stop by the Veteran Service's counter and find out how many credits you were certified for. Then contact the VA Education Center if there is an issue by calling (888) 442 - 4551. Any changes to your schedule can take up to 30 days to process.

8) I want to change my major, what should I do?
You will need to declare your new major with that department, then come to the Veteran Service's counter and complete a VA Form 22-1995 or a 22-5495 (depending on your benefit chapter). If you intend to major in: Journalism, Nursing, Social Work, Business or Education please let our office know during this time because you will need to fill out a Declaration of Intent. We are located on the 2nd Floor of the Fitzgerald Student Services building (you do not need to make an appointment to do this).

9) I just got military orders, or cannot finish my classes due to an emergency, what should I do?
Every person's situation is different. So we recommend you contact Chai, our Certifying Official, by calling (775) 682 - 5929 or email as soon as possible to discuss any possible impacts this could have on your benefit. In addition, we recommend you contact Admissions and Records for any forms the university may require.

10) I am a veteran and I am having a hard time adjusting to college, can your office help?
We help with your full transition from the military to higher education. Whether you feel you need that sense of camaraderie again, you want to get involved on campus or in the community or you just need to talk with someone, call John, our Intake Coordinator, at (775) 682 - 5929 or email

11) I failed a class or did not meet the grade requirement, now what?
If you fail a class you will receive a "punitive grade," and this will negatively affect your GPA. However, because the grade you received counts toward your graduation progress (and you did not meet the passing grade), you will not be required to repay any money back to the VA. In addition to this, because you did not meet the passing grade requirement you may take the class again and have the VA pay for it. However, too low of a GPA can impact your financial aid or ability to use VA Education Benefits at our institution. So we recommend you call John, our Intake Coordinator, at (775) 682 - 5929 or email if you have any questions about this.

12) How do I know if I need to verify my attendance?
If you are using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607 you need to verify your attendance by calling (877) 823 - 2378 or go online to the WAVES' website on the last day of the month. If you do not complete this step, you will not get paid until you do.

13) Can I be a dual major/degree?
It is possible to be a dual major and use your VA Education Benefits. However we recommend you contact John, our Intake Coordinator, by calling (775) 682 - 5929 or email in order to make sure you are eligible.

14) Where do I get military transcripts, immunizations or my DD-214 Member-4 copy?
If you are still in the service: request these documents, make copies of them and store them in a safe location. If you just recently separated (within the past year), contact your last unit, installation or VA Hospital (only if you've already registered with them). If you have been out for more than 1 year contact the VA Records Management Center by phone at (888) 533 - 4558, by fax at (314) 679 - 3615 or visit them online. However, if it is not on file with the VA, contact National Archives by phone at (866) 272 - 6272, by fax at (314) 801 - 9195 or visit them online. Our office is not responsible for obtaining any of these documents for you, this is your responsibility. However, if you are having extreme difficulties tracking this information down, please let our office know and call John, our Intake Coordinator, at (775) 682 - 5929 or email

15) Do you offer work-study options for students using VA Education Benefits?
We offer work-study positions throughout the academic year, but these are only available to students who have already had their classes certified. Students are notified of these positions via our email listserv (once they sign up after their Intake Session) and are encouraged to apply as positions become available. However, while these positions are essential to our overall success as a team, the student's academic success is a higher priority. So we recommend that if you are hired and choose to work, you only work the hours that do not detract from your studies.

16) What is the Nevada Military Support Alliance Veterans & Military Center?
It preserves the Veteran Services Office's culture of enriching student lives through professional engagement to better themselves and the world around them. It was developed with the veteran-student and their family in mind and is a multi-purpose space that provides students with a place to study for classes, engage in fellowship with their peers, develop professionally or simply relax and take a break. 

Take the next step...