Nevada National Guard Fee Waiver Information
Pursuant to the passage of Senate Bill 78 (Chapter 181, Statutes of Nevada 2005), as of July 1, 2005, the pilot fee waiver program for active members of the Nevada National Guard is now a permanent program. As specified in Board policy, eligibility criteria for the program are as follows:
NEVADA NATIONAL GUARD FEE WAIVER
TITLE 4, CHAPTER 17, SECTION 13, SUBSECTION 4
Any member of the active Nevada National Guard, including a Nevada National Guard recruit, may be permitted to register for credit without a registration fee or, except as otherwise provided, laboratory fee(s).
- This policy is applicable during Fall and Spring terms only.
- Independent study and correspondence courses are not eligible for waiver under this policy.*
- Laboratory fees associated with all courses numbered below the 300 level are eligible for waiver under this policy.
Exceptions to the waiver of laboratory fees includes:
- Per semester fees, such as the Health Service fee
- Special course fees for purposes other than class supplies including individual instruction, third-party charges, and special transportation requirements
- Fees for actual class cost in excess of $100, and
- Technology fees.
- A person to whom the fee waiver is awarded shall be deemed a bona fide resident of Nevada for tuition purposes.
- To be eligible for the fee waiver, the person must be a member in good standing or a recruit of the active Nevada National Guard at the beginning of and throughout the entire semester for which the waiver is granted.
- The member or recruit of the Nevada National Guard must achieve at least a minimum 2.00 semester grade point average in order to maintain subsequent eligibility for the fee waiver.
- The institution may request the Adjutant General to verify the membership in the active Nevada National Guard of a person who is seeking or has been granted the fee waiver.
- If a fee waiver is granted to a Nevada National Guard recruit and the recruit does not enter full-time National Guard duty within one (1) year after enlisting, the student shall reimburse the Board of Regents for all previously waived registration fees and laboratory fees if the failure to enter full-time National Guard duty is attributable to the recruit's own conduct.
- If a fee waiver is granted to a member of the Nevada National Guard and the member does not achieve at least a minimum 2.00 semester grade point average and remain a member in good standing with the Guard, the student shall reimburse the Board of Regents for the semester's waived registration fees and laboratory fees and will not be allowed to register for additional courses until the debt is paid in full.
- Registration fees associated with the William S. Boyd School of Law, the University of Nevada School of Medicine, and the UNLV School of Dental Medicine are not eligible for waiver under this policy.
- The Nevada National Guard fee waiver is effective as of Fall Semester 2003.
* Classes not covered by Nevada National Guard Fee Waiver
If you choose a class from the University of Nevada, Reno course catalog, and the SECTION number includes the initials WC - the class is NOT covered by the waiver. If the section number does NOT have those letters, it is covered.
If you choose a class through the EXTENDED EDUCATION or INDEPENDENT LEARNING offices (or their literature containing course offerings) - you must contact Dawna in that office at 784-4062 to find out if an individual class is covered by this waiver.
How Do I Apply?
Instructions for Nevada National Guard Members
- This program is only for institutions of the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE).
- Complete the NVMD Form 73WR3 and have your commander or designated unit representative sign it.
- Fax the completed and signed form to the Nevada Army National Guard Education Officer at (775) 888-7258. Or mail the form to the address noted below.
- The Nevada National Guard Education Officer will issue a control number to your unit commander or designated representative and they will write it on your form.
- You must fill out a separate NVMD 37WR3 form and receive a separate control number for each school attending each semester.
- This is not a reimbursement program. You must submit this form to the Cashier's/Bursar's Office of the institution to which you are enrolled at the time you pay your fees. A portion of the fees under the program guidelines will be waived. You are responsible for paying any fees not waived under the program.
- Forms must be submitted to the Cashier's/Bursar's Office on or before the respective deadline for paying fees established at the NSHE institution you will be attending.
- See the Board of Regents' policy concerning criteria for maintaining eligibility (Title 4, Chapter 17, Section 13, Subsection 4(h) and 4(i)) above.
Students must send completed fee waiver form to:
Nevada National Guard
2460 Fairview Drive
Carson City, NV 89701-6807
COM: (775) 887-7326
FAX: (775) 887-7258
Air National Guard students may request fee waiver from:
1776 National Guard Way
Reno NV 89502
COM: (775) 788-4543
FAX: (775) 788-4542
How Can I Get More Information?
Visit the Nevada National Guard Education web page.