How to Apply
The Admissions Process:
Applying to the Upward Bound Program is easy.
We seek high school students who have the ability and the desire to go to college, but lack the financial resources because of family income level or lack knowledge about the college preparation and admission process. Students are highly encouraged to apply to Upward Bound starting as early as 9th grade.
Applications are accepted in the fall and spring semesters each academic year, and new applicants are admitted to the program depending on the number of openings that occur each year following high school graduation of Upward Bound seniors.
The selection of eligible candidates is also based on test scores, academic need, semester grades, and an interview with the program coordinator. Both the student and parent(s) or guardians must attend the interview session and sign consent forms, as participation in Upward Bound requires a total family commitment.
If interested, please download a hard copy application, complete the highlighted fields in the PDF by typing your responses, print, and then sign by hand. The deadline for submission of application materials is Wednesday, April 29, 2015. After submitting your application, you will receive an email from the Upward Bound Programs confirming our receipt of your application. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours of submitting your application, please contact our office at (775) 784-4978 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of Materials:
The forms and the required supplemental information can be submitted in three ways:
· By printing and completing the appropriate forms, making copies of required supplemental information, and physically bringing it to our location. (University of Upward Bound Programs, Edmund J. Cain Hall, Suite 203)
· By printing, signing, and completing the appropriate forms, making copies of required supplemental information and faxing it to our office at (775) 784-6254.
· By printing, signing, and completing the appropriate forms, making copies of required supplemental information and emailing it to email@example.com.
The personal information, including financial status and educational levels, given to Upward Bound is used for reporting purposes with the United States Department of Education. No one may access, view or utilize the information unless they work for or with Upward Bound, or unless they are given specific or legal authorization to said information. This information is required to determine if your child meets federal eligibility guidelines established by regulation of the United States Department of Education. All information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA, 20 USC 1231a).
In order for an application to be complete, and for students to be considered for admission into the program, all of the following items must be received by the Upward Bound Programs:
- The completed student application with all necessary signatures
- A clear, SIGNED copy of your Social Security Card
- A clear copy of both sides of an Alien Registration Card (if applicable)
- Copy of pages 1 and 2 of your most recent 1040 federal tax return (if required to file)
- A copy of your most recent middle or high school transcript
- Test scores on the CRT or Nevada Proficiency Exams
- Requested student response to essay questions
- Four assessment forms: An assessment form must be completed by your school counselor and three of your current teachers (math, science, and English). The assessment is designed to be confidential. The individuals completing the assessments can do so online, or they can print a hard copy Teacher/Counselor Assessment and return it to our office using the fax number above. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the Teacher/Counselor assessment forms are submitted by the application deadline.