How to Apply
The Admissions Process:
Applying to the Upward Bound Program is easy.
We seek high school students who have the ability and the desire to go to college, but lack the financial resources because of family income level or lack knowledge about the college preparation and admission process. Students are highly encouraged to apply to Upward Bound starting as early as 9th grade.
Applications are accepted in the fall and spring semesters each academic year, and new applicants are admitted to the program depending on the number of openings that occur each year following high school graduation of Upward Bound seniors.
The selection of eligible candidates is also based on test scores, academic need, semester grades, and an interview with the program coordinator. Both the student and parent(s) or guardians must attend the interview session and sign consent forms, as participation in Upward Bound requires a total family commitment.
Hard copy applications are available in the counseling offices at the schools served by Upward Bound. If interested, you can also apply online by clicking "here." The deadline for submission of application materials is Friday, April 14, 2017. After submitting your application online, you will receive an email from the Upward Bound Programs confirming receipt of your submitted application. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours of submitting your application, please contact our office at (775) 784-4978 or email email@example.com.
Submission of Materials
The forms and the required supplemental information can be submitted in three ways:
- By completing a hard copy of the application and physically bringing it to our main office located in the Edmund J. Cain Hall building, Suite 203 at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- By completing the online application "here."
- By submitting your completed application to the school counselor at your current middle school or high school.
The personal information, including financial status and educational levels, given to Upward Bound is used for reporting purposes with the United States Department of Education. No one may access, view or utilize the information unless they work for or with Upward Bound, or unless they are given specific or legal authorization to said information. This information is required to determine if your child meets federal eligibility guidelines established by regulation of the United States Department of Education. All information is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA, 20 USC 1231a).
Necessary Materials to Apply:
STEP I: Documents needed to apply:
- Completed and signed Application
- School Counselor Assessment
- English Teacher Assessment
- Math Teacher Assessment
- Science Teacher Assessment
- Writing Sample
- Test Scores: Nevada Proficiency Exam or ITBS
- Current Transcript or Report Card
STEP II: (If selected for an interview):
- Proof of income (Federal 1040/1040A/1040EZ tax return or other documentation of income)
- Copy of Social Security Card or Permanent Residency Card