Small Group Tutoring
What is small group appointment tutoring?
Group appointments are weekly 50-minute sessions with a trained peer tutor. Groups can include as few as 2 and as many as 6 students. All of the participants in a group must be enrolled in the same class.
Why it works
Do you study better with others? Does talking through a concept with classmates help you understand it better? Does studying with friends boost your confidence? Are you working on a group project in class and need a little guidance? If any of this sounds like you, then you might love small group tutoring.
Our tutors are trained to provide assistance, but they do not do the work for you. Your tutor's goal is to build your confidence with the material and prepare you to be able to handle the material on your own.
- 50 minute sessions allow time for you to cover multiple questions in a session
- Weekly sessions allow the group to develop good relationships with each other and with the tutor
- Your tutor will work with the whole group to identify session and overall goals
- Your tutor will adapt the material to your various levels of understanding
- Your tutor will facilitate conversation, not lecture
- Tutoring sessions are customized to meet your needs… so talk to your tutor about what you need!
How to get started
There are two ways to set up group tutoring appointments:
- If your group already knows which tutor you would like to work with, talk to him or her about turning your one-on-one appointment into a group session. Once you decide on a weekly time, the Front Desk staff will create the appointment for your group.
- If your group is open to working with any tutor, come in to the Tutoring Center and talk to our Front Desk staff about what you’re looking for. They will help match your group with a tutor and a weekly time that is a good fit for everyone.
Because of the time it takes to coordinate schedules for group appointments, all group sessions are weekly, not one-time appointments.
Absence/ cancellation policy
If you cancel a session less than 24 hours in advance or fail to show up for a session, it will be counted as an absence. After two absences, you will be blocked from group AND one-on-one appointment tutoring. Schedule sessions responsibly. You can still use the walk-in labs.
- Arrive on time and ready to work.
- Contact the Tutoring Center 24 hours in advance if you need to miss an appointment.
- Attempt the homework ahead of time.
- Come with questions prepared.
- Actively participate in the tutoring session.
- In group sessions, be a team player.
- Attend class regularly.
- Use your professor’s office hours if at all possible.