National Geographic's "Gender Revolution: A Journey with Katie Couric"
Gender Revolution will explore the complexities of gender in everyday life, from the moment we are born through our twilight years. To better understand this complex social and scientific issue, Katie Couric crisscrossed the U.S. to talk with scientists, psychologists, activists, authors and families to learn more about the role of genetics, brain chemistry and modern culture on gender fluidity. After the film, Sandra Rodriguez (Director, The Center for Student Engagement) and Ricky Salazar (Coordinator, The Center), will facilitate a panel discussion with local campus and community leaders including, Elvira Diaz, Kimi Cole, Jodi Thomas, Jeromy Manke and Jax Skye.
Monday, February 6, 2017 | 5:30 PM - 8 PM | KC Wells Fargo Auditorium
The Center Celebrates Black History Month
A portion of this programming is organized by University of Nevada, Reno departments and clubs & organizations.
- Black History Month: A Story of Oppression & Perseverance by Black Culture Cooperative - 2/1/17 | 7 PM | JCSU 320
- United Blood Services Blood Drive by ABLE Women - 2/1/17 | 12 PM - 5 PM | KC Rotunda
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dialogue by Blane Harding, Director of The Center - 2/2/17 | 12 PM | JCSU Rita Senate Chambers
- Double Feature: Black Panthers and 42 by JCSU Programming - 2/2/17-2/3/17 | 6 PM & 9 PM | JCSU Theatre
- World Café Dialogue Event by Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement - 2/3/17 | 12 PM | JCSU 403
- Diversity Dialogue by The Center - 2/9/17 | 4 PM | JCSU Rita Senate Chambers
- Miss Phi Beta Sigma Pageant by Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. - 2/11/17 | 7 PM | JCSU Theatre
- Ball for A Cause by Black Student Organization - 2/12/17 | 11 AM - 7 PM | Intermural Fields
- Coffee House Series: Jon Goode Spoken Word by JCSU Programming - 2/14/17 | 6 PM | JCSU Food Court
- Image of a Black Woman Discussion - 2/14/17 | 7 PM | KC Rotunda
- Fish Fry by Sisters On A Move - 2/15/17 | 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM | KC Lawn
- Fashion Show by Reno African Student Association - 2/15/17 | 6 PM | JCSU Ballrooms A & B
- Lyrically Poetic by ABLE Women - 2/15/17 | 7 PM | JCSU Theatre (entrance fee= hygiene products)
- What Is It Like To Be In Our Shoes Forum by Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. - 2/23/17 | 7 PM | JCSU 422
- BSO Ball by Black Student Organization - 2/24/17 | 7 PM | JCSU Ballrooms
- BCC Cookout Giveback by BCC Council - 2/28/17 | 2 PM | KC Lawn
- Karaoke Jam by The Center - 2/28/17 | 6 PM | The Center on JCSU 3rd floor
- Black History Month Book Display by Nevada Wolfshop and Knowledge Center - 2/1/17-2/28/17 | Nevada Wolfshop
SafeTalk Training with the Nevada Urban Indians Inc.
SafeTalk prepares students to intervene by using T.A.L.K (Tell, Ask, Listen, and KeepSafe) to identify and engage people with thoughts of suicide. Space is limited to the first 30 people that register. To reserve your spot, email Saundra at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 22nd.
Friday, February 24, 2017 | 10 AM - 2 PM | The Center on JCSU 3rd floor
Game of Loans with Nevada Money Mentors
Panic no more... Everything you need to know about repaying your student loans, completing exit counseling, navigating NSLDS, plus FREE donuts and coffee.
Wednesday, March 15, 2017 | 10 AM - 11 AM | The Center on JCSU 3rd floor
10th Annual American Indian/Alaska Native Education Summit
The AIAN Education Summit is held to provide resources and support to educators, staff, families, students, and anyone working with American Indian/Alaska Native students. Learn more about the summit and register through the Nevada Department of Education website.
Monday, March 20 - Tuesday, March 21, 2017 | 8 AM - 5 PM | JCSU 3rd and 4th floors
Northern Nevada Diversity Summit 2017
The Cultural Diversity Committee (CDC) will be hosting the Northern Nevada Diversity Summit at the University of Nevada, Reno titled, "Enhancing the Cultural Environment for All - Our Community, Our Institutions, Our Stories." For more info, visit the Diversity Initiatives web page.
Thursday, March 30, 2017 | JCSU Building
Cultural Graduate Celebrations
The Cultural Graduate Celebrations are for all graduating students at the University of Nevada, Reno. More information to come.
- Lavender (LGBTQIA+) Graduate Celebration - 5/9/17
- American Indian/Alaska Native Graduate Celebration - 5/10/17
- Latino Graduate Celebration - 5/12/17
Events open to all students and University community. Additional events will be added as they occur, please check back frequently.